8.16.2007

All I need is some hairspray

So, today was a pretty rough day for me. I need to vent, and seeing as how Laney is doing a tour right now, I'm going to use this time to my advantage. When I arrived at work, I discovered that in an effort to backup my work yesterday as I was leaving, I accidentally replaced my new database with the old database, thus erasing everything that I had worked on for the past two days. Luckily, it was only two days, but still, when your job is tedious already, having to redo tedioucity is not what I call fun. So, that got squared away and I left to catch the bus. On the ride home, I realized that in order for me to be able to take the weather today, I would need the key...which was in the car...that Laney had in Salt Lake. The original plan was for me to get off and ride my bike down to take the weather and then ride it to class. I called another girl who takes the weather to see if I could borrow her key, to which she graciously offered to just take the weather for me. This was good news as I was still at our house in Orem, it was 3:45, and class was going to start at 4. So, to myself, I think, "You know. I've ridden my bike through Yellowstone in one day, crossing the continental divide three times, I can make it to Provo in 15 minutes." Well, too bad I didn't finish that thought. A more complete thought would have been, "Yeah, I did that, but after months of training, not carrying a backpack with 6 books in it, in the cooler temperatures of anywhere but here, and on a bike that had gears." I think the high today here in Provo was about 100, which occured right when I was riding. My bike is a beach cruiser. No, not a moutain traverser; a BEACH CRUISER. At this time, I was no where near a beach nor in need of a cruise. I figured that the trip down University Pkwy would be the most enjoyable, but, as the cosmos had already aligned against me, there was a STRONG hot wind blowing UP the hill, requiring me to pedal DOWNHILL. So I was sweating on the part that should have been the easiest (gravitationally speaking). When I reached the football stadium, the threads on my handlebars decided that they didn't want to hold the handlebar up anymore. I don't know they've stripped, but they have. So, as I am now riding uphill, half of my focus is on holding my handlebars up. When I get to the Marriot Center, the incline just gets to much for me. So, I packed in my pride and got off and walked my bike. How humiliating. I walked it to the Bean Museum, where I surmised that I could coast all the way down to my class.
As I got on the bike (still trying to keep the handlebars upright) I looked down to notice that I had a flat. No problem. I've had a flat the past few times I've ridden and I just pump it up before I go and it lasts the whole time. So, I pump it up, thinking I'm fine, and go to get on it again and realize that the tire is no longer in the rim. Much more than a quick fix was needed here. So, I walked the bike to the campus, where I bought myself a Powerade to quench my thirst, and caught the bus to class. One more thing. For some bizzare reason, I decided not to wear socks today, so all the sweat from my thermal energy producing feet rubbed my heels and soles raw.
The only thing I have to look forward to do tonight is go to see Hairspray. Laney and I decided that we would wait to see it in the dollar theater, but as I've listened to the soundtrack this week and read a few reviews, I just couldn't take it anymore. We got the discount tickets from Macey's and are splurging for our six month commemoration of our wedding. Really, Laney is doing me a favor by sitting through this with me, but really, I have been unable to get the lyrics out of my head this entire week. I just know that this favor Laney will do for me tonight will make all the feelings of soreness, frustration, and heat exhaustion just vaporize (kinda like an aerosol).

7 comments:

Josh & Kenna said...

I too love the Hairspray soundtrack, and it's constantly playing at our house. That movie will make everything better.

Rachael said...

Taylor....this story was hilarious. I have been laughing out loud since I read it. Thanks for sharing in such a descriptive and clever manner.
Rachael

Kent and Leisy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kent and Leisy said...

Ok - so this soundtrack reminds me of driving to Ohio because I bought it for Metta and we then listened to it 3 times (in a row). Hairspray might be a good show but just hearing the music brings back all of those feelings of being stuck in the car with Zeb screaming in the back. Those feelings, added to Taylor's story, made reading this blog really difficult for me. I hated those days when a quick ride to BYU on my bike turned into slipping-on-a-patch-of-ice-careening-down-State-Street-and-sitting-through-3-hours-of-class-sopping-wet-and-freezing misery!

Anonymous said...

or maybe your soreness, frustration, and heat exhaustion will vaporize like HAIRSPRAY! Ha ha. Laney is so good to you.

Hey, how about adding some paragraph breaks next time?

Katie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie said...

taylor, I am so sorry that your day was awful, but so happy that you wrote about it. you just know how to put the words down in a way that makes it completely hysterical. thanks.
Katie