11.20.2007

the christmas tree


So before I tell you all about our first major problem in our marriage, I want to share my thoughts on taylor's tag post. Some of you may be asking yourselves how I feel about Taylor's desire to be a diva, and I can't really say I support him in it, however when he first told me last week, I about died. We were driving to school, and I plugged in my ipod so we could listen to christmas music, and the first song that came on was Celine Dion's O Holy Night, Taylor of course started to sing along (which isn't out of the ordinary) but then all of a sudden out of nowhere, Taylor declared, "songs like these make me want to be a diva!" I was hysterical, I don't think I stopped laughing for quite some time, and I seriously considered heading straight to the doctor to have taylor injected with shots of testosterone, but then I remembered that how grateful I am to be married to someone who wants to be a diva and doesn't sit around and watch sports center all day, and who would rather decorate the house with me then do anything else. I sure love him.

Anyway, about the whole Taylor becoming an environmentalist, it is true, he really is. At first I was a little concerned, but I am now starting to see things a little differently, and with Steve across the street to encourage Taylor's liberal ways, we may even have a bumper sticker on our car in the near future that wants to Save wild utah, or drain lake powell. Taylor keeps telling me how big yards are a waste and a poor use of land, I think he wants to live in a row house in some major city somewhere. We are even taking heed to the global warming woes. While I believe that the debate is not over about global warming, I say, what is it going to hurt to be a little more friendly to the environment and the Earth? So we are changing some of our behavior and trying to be more green.

So now on to the more pressing problem, marital strife. I think Taylor and I had our first official problem which we could not really resolve. We put up our Christmas tree last night, (pictures to come, it isn't quite ready) and as we prepared for bed, Taylor went to turn out the Christmas lights, I explained to him that the lights needed to stay on all night, and he quickly responded that it was a waste of energy. I explained to him that part of christmastime is waking up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and seeing the glow of lights from the front room, or waking up to go to the gym in the wee hours of the morning and not needing to turn the lights on because of the christmas tree glow. Taylor disagreed and I was sad. Taylor unplugged the lights and I sadly headed off to bed. Once taylor got in bed he told me he would compromise, so this morning at 5:40 he jumped out of bed before me, and plugged the lights in so I could have them on as I got ready to go the gym. I am still not completely happy with the compromise, I woke up last night to go to the bathroom and I was sad to see no christmas tree, but for now, this will have to do. He says that the five days before christmas we can leave the lights on all night.

8 comments:

Kent and Leisy said...

Taylor...you SCROOGE you! okay, so I shouldn't be name calling, but laney is SO right and you are SO wrong! the lights and the glow at night are very much part of Christmas! Do you unplug your tv at night? or your unused appliances? cause they are sucking out energy as well!!!!! good thing that she still loves you in your stubborness! :)

Josh & Kenna said...

You guys make me sick. Ever heard of Thanksgiving? Maybe you should give it a chance, huh? Christmas decorations have no place in December, and Christmas music doesn't either. I don't think I can talk to either of you ever again.

Nate and Jessica said...

Laney, this is a new you. Didn't you used to hate Christmas stuff before Thanksgiving? So glad to hear you've changed! I'm so happy you have your tree up! I don't yet.

Rachael said...

I'm going to have to side with Taylor on this one...Christmas Eve is the only night the tree stays lit. Maybe I'm just afraid of burning us all while we sleep (that's always been a fear of mine) or the enormous power bill (i'm also afraid of checking the mail lately), but I can't see the point of lights on when you sleep. I am impressed with your compromise, though, and that you reached it so quickly, we like to fight longer than that!! :)

Home Grown Bean's said...

Hmmm...arguing over the Christmas tree lights staying on all night or Taylor's in the closet desires of being a diva creeping out and becoming public? This one is a toss up for sure! I'll bet Celine Dion keeps all ten of her Christmas trees lit all night as well as the garlands on all twelve of her cascading staircases lit to boot! I think we need a girls night out Laney.
Allie

Erin said...

All I can do is chuckle.

Lindsi said...

You talked about global warming and helping out a little. Conserving energy is one way to assist the earth. Just a thought. (However, I would keep the lights on all night. I'm not very responsible when it comes to helping the earth.)

Tyson said...

Taylor, I would recommend a timer for the lights, then you can have them turn off right after you normally fall asleep and turn back on right before Laney wakes up in the morning. Hey, if you timed it right you could even have them turn on for a ten minute interval for the midnight bathroom trip.