11.16.2007

It's My Turn

Well, I have finally found a break in my studying for midterms, my two jobs, my writing papers, my time consuming freshman, my calling, my volunteer hours at the museum, and my wonderful wife to respond to my tag. I was talking to a coworker this morning how I'm getting better at writing papers because I'm doing a lot more of the writing in my head before I even start writing. The time I spend now, as compared with the time during my first year of college, is dramatically different. Now, I don't feel bad when I just read the abstract and conclusion and just skim through the statistical methods that, really, don't add to my understanding anyway. So, here it goes--6 six things that you NEVER knew about me, Daniel Taylor Hawes, Esquire. I thought long and hard about these, so I hope they ellicit plenty of gasps, sighs, "No ways!!," and however else you want to respond to this long awaited post.

1- Recently, I have been impressed with the first Clinton presidency. GASP! I know, it is hard for me to believe and can just hear my uncle Tal screaming in my ear, but maybe Lynne would be proud. I'm in a public lands class and we've looked at the differences in policies between the Clinton and Bush II presidencies, and I must admit, I find myself more in accord with President Clinton and Bruce Babbit when it comes to environmental (gasp again) issues. Granted, I understand that much of what they did was for political advantage (Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument as a prime example), but in the back of my mind I hear a little voice saying, "A step in the conservation/preservation direction has got to be better than letting those ATV/OHV nuts rape and pillage the land." I actually teared up when I saw a picture of bulldozer plowing down trees for a new trail. It shocked me, but hey, I guess that's where I'm standing. P.S. - This in no way is my endorsement for Hillary. She still kinda drives me crazy.

2- Now that you've picked yourself up (mom), you can continue reading. I promise no more huge testimony-shaking revelations. I have two deep desires, that, were it not for the lifestyle associated with them, I would be all over them. One, I used to dream (and often still do) about being an interior decorator. I just have this propensity to organize and rearrange things and make everything look better. Were it not for the extremely effeminate nature this industry has turned, I would have made my career in Interior Design. My second desire came to head this week when I told Laney, as we were listening to Celine Dion, "Listening to Celine makes me want to be a diva." I totally blame this one on my aunt Malee for always listening to Celine Dion, Mariah Carrey, Barbara Steisand, Whitney Houston, Bette Midler, and others when we travelled to Idaho and elsewhere. She instilled that spirit in me. When I say I want to be a diva, it is because when I sing along with them, I feel so darn good inside, and that all my musical inabilities are completely removed and supplanted with impecable talent and vocal ability. (I'm listening to Celine as I type.)
3- My way-too-long book list that I frequently ask for gifts from stems from another desire than you might not think. I tell people that I love to read, and while that is true, I like the idea of being well-read better than the thought of reading. I'm quite a slow reader (as Laney can attest) and get lost in the language. This explains why I like Victorian literature, and my mind wanders and, thus, I never make it through many novels that I piously and ambitiously intend to read. The only thing that gets me through some of the more boring parts is that I can say, "Yeah, I've read that" followed with "and according to my Marxist analysis..." and then astound them with something I've just made up on the spot.
4- My favorite flavor of the artificial sort is lemon. I love lemon. Anything lemon is wonderful and refreshing to me. I love lemon starbursts, lemon skittles, lemon jolly ranchers, lemonheads, lemon anything. I must have different taste buds from other people because no one else seems to like them nearly as much as I do. Lemon cake, lemon frosting, lemonade ice cream dessert, lemon sorbet. Sometimes, I even take the little lemon in my water and just squeeze those sweet juices into my salivating mouth. Yum. I heart lemons.

5- After my mission, I went and apologized to my piano teacher for not practicing when I said I would practice. I got so sick of people telling me they read the Book of Mormon and when I asked them what they liked, they couldn't give me any specifics. I was so frustrated, and one day while walking through Hyde Park (I remember it still) I had an epiphany that the feeling I had was the exact same feeling that Misty had everytime I showed up and said that I had practised but just "forgot" to record what I had done. So, she let me play, and I proved to her, without saying a word, that indeed I had failed, again, to practice. I felt awful. So bad, yes, that I went to her house a few weeks after getting home and apologized. She just laughed and said that I wasn't the only one, and she knew every time I didn't practice, but that she understood and was glad that I now understood. Gosh I miss her. And I really miss piano lessons. Too bad I don't have a recital to shoot for anytime soon. I feed off of performing. Anywho...

6- During my freshman year, I was super envious of my roommate because he was ridiculously smart, incredibly talented, and athletic. He could draw, sing, play soccer, do physics, among other things, but it was the first time in my life that I realized that you didn't have to be either athletic or musical. I suffered from major major regret for not taking Coach Martineau up on his walk-on position to the sophomore basketball team, even willing to waive the required physical. I was mad at myself for not stretching myself a little bit further than I expected of myself. Not that I didn't love what I did, I just realized that I could have done more and still had fun. So life goes, I guess. Hindsight is 20/20 as they say. To compensate, I'm taking raquetball next semester. Maybe that can reduce my remorse.

I hereby end the line of tagging that was given to me. Not that I didn't have fun, but I didn't really want to coerce someone else into digging to find six things they never knew/wanted to reveal about themselves. Plus, I don't have the time to check other's blogs as they respond to my tag. So, it's not that I don't like you, I'm just thinking about yours and mine interests. Besides, that last one took me longer than I thought. I guess I need to work on my prewriting skills a bit better.

5 comments:

Kent and Leisy said...

I very much agree on the Clinton/ environmental issues thing. You know, I took a test and it labeled me conservative democrat! somebody has to watch out for Earth and if that makes me democrat I'll proudly stand as one :)

dk.hawes said...

Your "never knew about me" items aren't new to those who have always known you...they are what have always made you unique. If you had ever owned or managed land and recognized all that must be done to make that land stay healthy and productive you would understand that the greatest enviromentalists are land owners because their land is their livelihood. Their bottomline only comes with being good stewards of that land and not by getting political gain. We are all under God's directive to be good stewards and like everything else when we are not, the consequences follow. Having policies dictated to us by those who don't understand what it means to own or manage land takes aways the very agency we are here to learn how to use. Doing such things as the Escalanti Staircase in secret says in and of itself it was not right. If it was the right thing to do, it was right to do it openly and with public input from the people it will affect not to announce it from another state and never notify that state's govenor.

Josh & Kenna said...

Celine is coming to concert...on Nov. 1st...of next year...

Erin said...

Ammon would really like to get "the guys" together to play raquetball sometime soon!

Amy and Craig said...

Hey Taylor you'd be happy at my house we ALWAYS have lemons and they go in almost everything I make. I really think that almost everything is better with fresh lemon or lime. My kids even suck on them(although I shouldn't let them, it's horrible for the enamel).