11.03.2007

Little Trip to Denver

In addition to our fun filled Halloween, we took a little trip to Denver this week. The museum recently acquired a new painting that has been being conserved for the past few weeks. The registar of the museum (Emily), the museum accountant (Brayden) and Laney and I got to go, in addition to some donors and other staff. Just for the record, I was the only non-museum employee or donor on this trip. Additionally, I was the youngest, the only one without a college degree, and the easiest one to find in a crowded place. I guess I know why I was needed. Anyway, Emily, Brayden, Laney, and I got to drive over on Thursday and got back tonight. We'll have to post more pictures when we get them from Emily, but here's a slice of what we have.This is outside the Denver Art Museum, known to locals as the DAM. They have shirts and mugs in the gift shop that say "DAM! That's good art." We laughed. Anyway, we were just swept away by all the art and fun that we had. There was an exhibit from the Louvre, which, to be honest, was quite boring. You know, once you've seen an 18th Century urn from Versailles, you've seen them all. But, we went, and it wasn't bad. The coolest part was the contemporary art collection. We like how weird artists get. I'm baffled by their creativity and how their ideas are never ending. One of my favorites was a wall of lenses that were all different sizes, and hung from fishing line. It is really hard to explain, but it was really cool.


Before we went to the museum, we went to the conservator and got a little tour and introduction into the world of art conservation. The building was this dark warehouse looking thing in the middle of a neighborhood outside the downtown that was a little run down. The windows to the place were darkened. It was pretty weird walking through a little sketchy neighborhood into a place where there were millions of dollars worth of paintings being preserved. Kinda crazy, but very informative. One of the more interesting pieces they were working on was a mural for the Utah State Capitol. On it there were two high powered magnets, and when Laney asked what they were for, one of the conservators said, "They're giving the painting more energy."


We stayed Friday night with Liz and Matt, and had a blast. They were great to drive us around and take us where we needed to go. Much to our surprise, Kurt was there on business, so we all went out to dinner in downtown Denver and then went back to Liz and Matt's. It was very relaxing but quite enjoyable. As always, Matt and Liz's kids were bouncing off the walls and cuter than ever. Mallory snuggled up next to me in bed when we woke up and just breathed in my face. Oh, she's adorable. And Eli's eyes couldn't get any bigger. Sorry, Isaac, we didn't take a picture of you, but we still think you're cool and playing Mighty Morphin Power Rangers was a blast. I can hardly wait to practice my ninja skills on you when you come to visit this Christmas.

5 comments:

Kent and Leisy said...

i love the broom. maybe we'll end up in denver eventually! they have an air force base I think.

taylor and laney said...

They do. It is right by my sister's house. I've been there. It's HUGE, but then again, I guess most AF bases are.

Big Oaf said...

now I'm going to complain about the music; John Denver, after a trip to colorado.....could you be any more predictable. You could have at least put something on from the Samples. Just kidding, was great to see you guys today and I'm sure we'll take you up on the offer to help with the kids. We;ll let you know when the bambino arrives.

Jill said...

Hi Laney. I found your blog today, thanks to Leisy. I'm insanely jealous of your working with the art museum. That is my dream job! It's so fun to be able to see what you're up to. Take care!

eyre blog said...

Sister Oswald! I am sitting here with Sherry Ellsworth Blog Surfing and saw your name on Charity's and we just had to venture in and see how you were doing. I love the halloween Costume. Did you cut your hair???