11.29.2007

Microsoft office 2007


So I don't know how many of you have used Microsoft Office 2007, probably not many, and consider yourselves lucky! BYU has decided to install Microsoft office 2007 on all the computers on campus and the whole student body is going crazy, there are confused students all over the llibrary cussing at computers. As finals approach, none of us can write our papers because we don't know how! All of the other past upgrades have just made a few changes that world was able to cope with, but everything has changed, I spent an hour trying to spell check my dang paper yesterday and it kept telling me it was finshed, but there were mispellings everywhere. So my advice to all, is keep your old windows and don't convert!!! I decided to see if the rest of the world was having as difficult a time with it and I found quite a few negative reviews of the product, this one is my favorite:


"To my dismay, Word and Excel have been catastrophically redesigned to the point of being useless. If you are a veteran user of these programs, you will find that many keyboard shortcuts are no longer functional. Colors and effects you are used to in Excel graphs are no longer possible to replicate. Menus are extinct in these programs and have been replaced with a horribly gaudy ribbon that must have been designed for and by complete idiots. The reasoning for such a comprehensive overhaul of two previously very functional programs escapes me. Obviously, the engineers have never heard the saying, "if it aint broke, don't fix it." Go to the ends of the earth to find a copy of Office 2003 before wasting any money on this product. Good luck!"


So over time, it will probably become easier to use, but until then, all the teachers on campus are going to have many a paper turned in with spelling errors, spacing problems, strange fonts, and weird colors. Hooray for finals.


6 comments:

taylor and laney said...

To add on to what Laney has said, there was a girl in my class who compared Office 2007 to having someone go through your shelves and move everything to a new place. Everything is there, for the most part, you now just have to search frantically to find it. I can't stand 2007. It drives me bonkers!

Erin said...

Cussing at BYU? I love it. (Not being a computer guru myself I would definitely be miffed). Bring on the holiday cheer!

Big Oaf said...

reading this almost makes me wish I was a student again and could narrow down most of my deadlines and the corresponding tension to finals. Hopefully no one does anything too dramatic. I think you'll all get through it, but I'm a little worried because you make it sound like crazy, confusion and cussing are all recent additions to the BYU experience

taylor and laney said...

Oh, Jar, they are. Don't recall that this is Zion down here? I guess it's our little secret, that everything runs perfectly and smoothly all the time. I guess the only glitch is when a young man's face isn't so smooth, then I guess things don't run smoothly, but some would argue that here in zion, we are willing to look past all that rif raf

Rachael said...

that's funny - I really like Office 2007. I hate to admit that because I might turn out to be the idiot your reviewer refers to! But I've been using the beta for ages and love it. makes me wonder what I'm missing...

xanthoman said...

I think that it's pretty. Thank you.