1.30.2008

I know, we are bad bloggers. But brace yourselves, this is a long one!

I have finally decided to blog again, I told taylor it was his turn especially since he had a whole trip to texas to blog about, but he doesn't seem to want to and he keeps telling me about all this homework he has to do. I am sure you will all hear from him soon. I am glad he is finally home, he actually got home Sunday morning, but we just haven't gotten around to sharing our lives again yet. Anyway, life is back to normal and the five days taylor was gone were absolutely horrible. Thank heavens I had Hailey and Jack around to make me dinner at night and keep me company, not to mention, save my life one night. I don't think Taylor and Steve should ever leave together for long periods of time again! We managed to make it up to the outlet stores in Park City for retail therapy while they were gone, and that helped immensely. I got a wonderful pink, black, & brown polka dotted dress from Banana Republic which I love and Hailey got some great deals as well.
Anyway, back to Hailey saving my life, I have this horrible problem in my stomach and esophagus, the doctor is pretty sure it is a hiatal hernia. Anyway, so I have these crazy attacks every so often where my stomach gets shoved up into my esophagus and it hurts like crazy. It happens about once a week, but it normally only lasts for a few minutes and I can normally stand the pain, because it is normally only about a 6 or 7 on the Laney pain scale. (The scale is a 1-10 with a one being something small like a scratch and a ten being an unbearable, end my life pain, like when I had appendicitis.) Anyway, so at Christmas, it happened and it was an 11 (an eleven is used only in special circumstances where the pain is so bad, you pass out and become delirious, I have only reached an 11 twice in my life)! the pain only lasted seven or so minutes, and afterwards I was fine, but last week it happened again and I was all alone. I was in bed, it was eleven twenty-seven and it started at a 6 or a 7 but it rapidly progressed to a 10 and then an 11. When I say it was an eleven, it isn't like I was passed out cold for long periods of time, but things around me go black and I get really dizzy, nauseous, and sweaty, I don't actually remember if I am really out cold, I just temporarily loose consciousness and ability to think. Anyway, so I was in the bathroom on the floor (I always lie on the bathroom floor when I don't feel well, I think it has magical healing powers, and it is close to the toilet in case I ralph) and the pain was going on for about 25 minutes! The doctor told me to take tums or an antacid when it happens, but of course, we don't have any, heaven only knows why I didn't buy some after the first incident. After about thirty minutes of writhing on the floor I finally decided that I needed to call someone, but its midnight, and taylor is gone, and I can't think clearly. I finally called Hailey in tears and delirium, and she rushed over with peptobismal, and spoon fed it to me (I couldn't get myself off the floor to eat it myself, remember, the pain was still an eleven, I could barely even see straight.) I vaguely remember Hailey suggesting that we go to the hospital and me explaining to her that the pain would stop soon (or at least hoping it would) and then about ten minutes later with me lying there in my underwear and Hailey being as nice as she could possibly ever be, it slowly lessened and went away. Thank you cousin Hailey!!!! Hailey went back home to sleep and to make sure her baby was still alive and well, and I stayed up for a bit on the computer trying to find out what I could do to avoid more of this in the future. The Internet said (and of course I always trust the internet, who even needs a doctor anymore right? ) that if a hiatal hernia ever causes severe and intense chest pain, I should seek medical attention immediately (too late for that since the pain had stopped :) Anyway, turns out that when my stomach got shoved up into my esophagus, it probably got twisted and stuck. Oh well, all I have to say is, I sure hope it doesn't happen again and if it does, I hope Taylor is home, and yes, we finally got a lifetime supply of tums type things which I now eat on a regular basis.

I know this post has been a mile long, but one more thing to all of you we haven't yet told, I am pregnant. Yep, thats right, pregnant. I have finally decided to tell everyone, I can't keep it a secret any longer, I have already gained 15 pounds and there is no hiding it anymore. I am 21 weeks along, and we don't know what we are having, we aren't going to find out, thus the picture below only being a picture of the foot, we didn't want a picture where we could figure out the gender by body parts, or the lack thereof. I think I may start a list of all the stupid things people say to me being pregnant, because they have already started. I am sure all of you out there who have been pregnant, have some comments you could share with me too, I'd love to hear them. But I am amazed at the things people say. I assure you, that no pregnant person needs to be told that they are looking like they have gained weight, we know!!! We can tell that our pants don't fit and we feel it! I can also assure you that no pregnant person needs to be told that they have been acting up tight and irritable, and I assure you, pointing that out to a pregnant person (especially me) doesn't help the situation. Anyway, all that set aside, I feel wonderful. I haven't been sick at all, I don't feel tired until bed time, and really other than the stomach problem (which is a result of all this), I don't feel any different. Taylor has been wonderful of course, and he hasn't made any of the stupid comments, I don't think he ever will, he is much too smart for that. In fact he assures me every morning that I don't look fat. I still feel great at the gym every morning and my mile pace is actually improving. I have also learned that you burn a lot more calories when you weigh fifteen pounds heavier! Hooray!


20 comments:

Nate and Jessica said...

LANEY! Woo hoo! I can't wait to see what little TaylorLaney you produce. I can't believe you can wait this long to announce. Course, I can't believe you're not finding out the sex either. So so so sorry about that stomach stuff!

The De Souzas said...

Wow! Congratulations! I am so excited for you guys, even though I have to fight the tendency to abhor people like you and Leisy who can hide a pregnancy until you're HALF WAY done AND who aren't plagued with horrible pregnancy symptoms. :) I'm sooo jealous.

Amy and Craig said...

I'm so glad you lived through the horrible night of ricketybucket of death pain(is it time to reintroduce that phrase?). I told Hailey if it had been me I think I would have forced you to the ER, but then the pain would have been over by the time we got there. Congrats on the new twinner baby! Did they tell you that the legs measured long? Katie's did from the 20 week ultrasound and they still do. She's her daddy's girl! (except for the face and hair). has anybody tried to touch your belly yet? Karate chop them! I hate all that free advice. it picks up when you pick names. Like I care what the lady at walmart thinks. NOT YOUR BUSINESS, I'LL ASK IF I WANT TO KNOW! the worst was the post-delivery nurse asking if I put on a lot of weight because I had lots of stretch marks. I think she was trying to induce postpartum depression. Like I needed to hear that less that 24 hours after my 20 hour labor with katie. ack!

Kent and Leisy said...

the foot looks freaking huge. you are going to get awfully uncomfortable if that thing gets its height from the sperm chromosomes. was that good pregnant obnoxious commentary? I hit kent's mom's hand once when she went to touch my belly. In fact, I'll be honest, I didn't even like kent touching it. I was just weirded out. If it's a boy you're naming it miller, right? remember you'll have miller hawes and then we'll name one hawes miller!

Kent and Leisy said...

p.s. please post a pic of the banana republic dress.

JT & Lizzie Davis said...

Dear Laney,

1. WAHOO! You are expecting! I am so excited for you! This is wonderful news. Congratulations! I bet you look adorable as a little pregnant momma.

2. That stomach problem sounds terrible. Really. That story is crazy! I'm glad your cousin was there to save you, and so sorry that happened to you when Taylor was out of town. That stinks!

taylor and laney said...

amy,

i can't believe a nurse said that to you! my goodness. I would have let her have it. and when taylor read your comments he nearly wet himslelf he was laughing so hard. no one has tried to touch my belly yet, not many people know that I am pregnant, and I don't look pregnant, I just look like I am getting fat.

Anonymous said...

I'm so so excited for you guys! YAY!
Love
Marguerite

Page said...

WAHOOOOO!

Being pregnant is the greatest! I loved it. And then playing with the baby becomes the greatest, after he starts sleeping through the night. (which has happened this whole week! yeah!)

kenna said...

Laney, since you have shared your news, I will share mine! I'm pregnant too! WAIT, hold up, just kidding, but I am having a tumor next month, and he has a name, does that count for something?! HA! We are just as exciting for Tubbs to come out as we would be for a baby though.

On a more serious note, congrats, I do think that's great. Oh, and I never go to a doctor anymore, okay, I do (just the brain doc) but I'm pretty sure I have diagnosed myself every time using Dr. Google. No co-pay, no needles, pricks, or awkward physicals. Dr. Google is my kind of doctor.

Kim said...

yay congrats!

Jedi Master Tolman said...

Congratulations! It is such an awesome part in life so I just had to say that I am happy for you!

Breanne said...

Congrats! Pregnancy is fun to a point. The last 2 months are uncomfortable, and that is when you are finally ready to have a baby in your arms. And then you go into labor and get nervous about being a mother! It is great being a parent, you will do wonderfully! :)

LauraJ said...

Congrats to you both! We hope all continues well - we like keeping up with you on your blog
Robert and Laura

Rachael said...

HURRAY! I'm so excited for you and glad that your horrible stomach pain episode had a happy ending, although I'm not sure I'd like knowing it could happen again. I can not believe how long you waited to announce your pregnancy! That is amazing self control. Congratulations from all of us Maple Valley Howells!

Big Oaf said...

for some reason I haven't been able to pull up your blog at work lately, so I have missed the last few posts until tonight. Mom mentioned to me that I really needed to check it out for some exciting news. Congratulations!!Now of course I feel like a jerk for not checking it out (sorry, I rarely touch our computer at home anymore). You should also feel like a jerk for not telling me when we were on the phone earlier this evening; what are 'favorite' brothers for?! (yes, I know 'favorite' is stretching it, but I am the only one who has at least commented on your blog before) Now I am wondering if the real reason you called was to tell us, but you chickened out since Dana wasn't home. Laney, sorry about the Hawes feet, hopefully your little guy/gal doesn't pull a Jared and give you a good kick on the way out.

Whit said...

Congrats Laney and Taylor!! We are so excited for you guys. What great news!!!!
And I am sure, if you are 21 weeks and people are just commenting, then you have it good (not to mention not being sick). Near the end of being pregnant with Hudson, people (seriously) would make it a point to tell me how I was having twins. Nope, no twins, just one kid. I wanted to back hand every one.

Seth and Brittney said...

T-Hawes and Laney, congrats!! I can't believe you kept it a secret until 21 weeks, that is pretty amazing! Hope things keep going well; Laney you'll be my inspiration for keeping up on my exercise schedule when I am expecting too! That's fun news for your 1 year anniversary! Congratulations again.
-Brittney

Amanda said...

Congrats I'm excited for you guys. Glad to hear you haven't been sick.

katiemama said...

You totally don't know me, but I'll meet you when you come to visit Leisy next week. I am one of her walking group buddies, and had to check out the other half of what is Leisy. I just had to add my 2 cents. The worst for me was old men coming up and touching my stomach. It happened a few times, and I didn't even know them. Creepy!!!
Katie Weber