2.23.2008

Being pregnant.


So being pregnant is not really all that different for me than being not pregnant. The two major differences (both of which I hate!) are: I am getting fatter by the minute, and once again, the stupid things people say and the horrible advice I have been getting.  Just yesterday, a woman with whom I work was surprised to find out that I am pregnant, she told me that I didn't look pregnant because I have gained all my weight in my back and shoulders. I about died!! (so did my other coworkers who heard the comment) I promptly called Taylor and discussed it with the girls that work in the store who all assured me I do not have a fat back. But still,  my question is, how exactly do you gain weight in your shoulders?! Anyway, I have been trying to decide how exactly to respond when someone comments on my weight gain or my size. It is one thing to respond to someone telling me that "you look great" or "you barely look pregnant" but when someone says, "you really are showing today" or "wow, you look pregnant" I have yet determined what response to give these people, I just normally give them a strange look or say something like, "well I guess that happens when you are 25 weeks pregnant."  Most of the comments I get are from women too, I think men have just learned to not say a word. I kind of hope I get more strange comments, for as much as they drive me crazy, they sure are amusing, and they make for good stories.  

My other favorite advice I get is about exercising. I was just reading on the Internet (I get most medical advice from the Internet, but don't worry, I don't believe everything I read) about exercising while pregnant and read some funny advice. One of the bits of advice was, "stop if you feel any pain or when you begin to feel at all fatigued or short of breath" Now I don't know about the rest of you, but if you don't feel all three of these things to some degree while exercising, I don't know if you can really call it exercising. I realize the importance of listening to my body and all, especially now,  but I am definitely not stopping at any sign of shortness of breath or fatigue.  I hope my baby comes out running or kick boxing. 

12 comments:

B&B said...

You crack me up. Some additional pregnancy advice... avoid gaining weight in your back by straining and hyper-extending it daily. You will find this leads to increased pain and decreased mobility, resulting in your confinement to the supine position. As you lie on your back more often, the deposited adipose tissue will spontaneously relocate to your fingers and toes where you can more easily conceal it from critical old ladies. How's that for crappy advice? It is so true about everyone giving their two bits about being pregnant. Becca and I have experienced this also!

Kent and Leisy said...

just don't do anything while your pregnant. The worst fat that I gained pregnant was rib fat. does that even make sense? After I had the rugrat i felt like I had rib fat. ew. maybe it was on my back ribs too and I had back fat?!

Big Oaf said...

would post funny generalized comments regarding the overtly comparitive nature of women, but I have yet to find a font that truly expresses it with the appropriate amount of sarcasm.

Erin said...

Laney if you need any help coming up with preganancy retorts, Ammon is your man!

Kent and Leisy said...

excuse my terrible grammatical error. yzhac. "...you're pregnant" I meant to write.

toddkmack said...

So in the Hispanic culture (maybe in ours as well, I'm not sure) they say that if you gain all of your weight just in the belly you are going to have a boy (That's when you look "pointy"). If you gain weight all around then you're supposed to be having a girl. But I don't think that even Hispanic medical knowledge (aka witchcraft [at least that's what jokingly tell Betty it is]) doesn't say anything about back or shoulder fat. That's just about as disgusting to think about as Leisy's story about the cadaver. Yuck. I think you'll be just fine.

Kent and Leisy said...

oh, and you really don't want the baby to come out kick boxing. that would make you tear MUCH worse. ew.

The De Souzas said...

Laney, when are you going to blog about your anniversary???

Rachael said...

I have bad news for you Laney - all this pregnancy advice is just a precursor to having babies. I have been smaller (actual belly distance out) and gained more weight with each pregnancy - it's a complicated thing to achieve, let me tell you! - and got so many comments... you are so tiny, blah, blah, blah. it's totally out of our control how much or little we show, but I'm sure the extra weight was my fault. anyway, then come babies, who are as big or little, talkative or not, mobile or stationary as they are going to be. It's comparisons in general that make us all bonkers, especially when other people compare and tell us how we don't meet the average in some way. and obviously, I take issue with this! :)

brie said...

Hi, you don't know me, but I've met you at Mine and Taylor's 5 year reunion - we were also on the seminary council together and my sister taught him piano lessons - but your post made me laugh, because I could so relate to everything you said - I have an 18 month old, and I remember once, when I was six months, someone asked me how far along I was, and when I told them, they didn't believe me, they thought I was so big I was overdue. I totally gave her the stink eye - I mean, why would you say that to an emotional, hormonal, and half-crazed prego lady?! But hang in there, it'll all be worth it when Baby shows up!

Jarem and Camilla said...

Laney! You're expecting! Yea! The comments that some people make are ridiculous it's true. My dad's advice to me was, just put on your biggest cheesiest smile and say thank you so much!" It throws 'em every time! I aggree that marriage a million times better than the mission.
i'm very concerned for the soul who thinks otherwise.
we need to get together soon! love you so!

Bill and Mandy Guidry said...

Hey, this is Mandy, Kendra's sis. I was bored and looking through peoples stuff today and I had to comment on the subject at hand, idiots who open their mouths to pregnant people. I was in Relief Society in my parents ward the other day and the lady introduced me as someone who is much more "rotund" since the last time I had been there. I chose not to be offended. BUT later I looked up the definition... rounded in figure, spherical in shape, large or bulky of body, plump, fleshy, obese, portly. SHE IS SO DEAD!

It sounds like you are doing awesome. Married life is great I would agree. Much better than life as an old maid. :)

Kendra just started a blog and it has pics of her new child on it. I think this being fat and not so cute thing will be worth it if these kids are as cute as hers.

Take care.