2.02.2008

Houston, City of Strip Malls

I'm safe and back from my stint in Houston with Steverino. A week late, but I thought I'd share a few pics that I took.
It was so cold. You can't even see the tops of these skyscrapers, the clouds were so low. Wet and cold it was. It only cleared up the day we went to Galveston--just in time for Mardi Gras. BEADS BEADS BEADS. I totally wasted Steve and Mike in the bead collecting. I totally owe it all to my long of arms. The one bead necklace that I wanted had a little Finding Nemo medallion on it. I was chanting at the float to throw it at me, but lady threw it just to my left. I looked, and saw this little girl waiting for it; I went to grab it, and then compassion set in, and I couldn't take it from her. It was the only time I held back. The best was when this group of women in a mid-life crisis found out this was our first time, and one of them said to me, "You know. You get more beads if you lift your shirt and show them your chest." Mike and I didn't know what that exactly meant. It was creepy. But, we gave them all of our beads so they could use it in their gambling that night. I guess it's a pretty popular tradition. The highlight was this museum. It was just a museum full of caskets and hearses. The best was the exhibit about the African artist who made different shapes of caskets for his art. There was a crab, a scallion, a dog, and other oddly shaped caskets. You should go the next time you are in Houston. That's my favorite picture of Steve. Thanks again for inviting me. It was fun, but next time I'll only go if I can take my wife with me. It was just too hard to be away for that long.

5 comments:

Kent said...

Looks like a fun trip, but didn't you go there to work? Did you get to help Steve with the furniture? Or was it all museums and Mardi Gras? You need to make it sound like grueling, crazy hard work or Hailey may begin to wonder about Steve's "temple trips".

Nate and Jessica said...

I don't know Laney, this is a little dangerous...6143164060.

Steve and Hailey said...

Maybe that is why Jack always hunches down. I swear just looking at that picture makes my knees hurt.

Erin said...

India says the "daddies" singing on your blog are "sad." You know, when I lived in Mississippi, we used to get 3 days off of school for Mardi Gras. Glad you could enjoy it!

Amy and Craig said...

I like the pix of Houston at night an also the one of steve. I'm hoping that he's sitting like that to take a picture. The 101 cookie was to celebrate the 101st day of school for katie's kindergarten class. They all dressed up in black and white and watched the movie and they even made dog ears that they wore to lunch! Katie acted like a dog for the rest of the day!