2.11.2008

Good Flick

Last week, Laney and I were opened to a whole new world of cinema. We watched "Uzpizin," an Isreali film about guests coming over during a Jewish holiday and this couple's yearning to have a baby boy. We were touched, to say the least. It was adorable, touching, and not even a challenge to read all the subtitles. It followed the story (at least we're assuming) of Abraham and Sarah pretty well. The best part was watching them pray. It so passionate and faithful. It made me want to lie less. It has been some time since a movie has motivated me to be a better person and more faithful. Not that I watch a lot of movies, but still, that is saying something for a movie to move me to be better. Highly highly recommended. The acting is very realistic and, well, good. This is what Mormon cinema should be like. I feel like I learned more about the Jewish culture. Stupid movies like "Baptists at My BBQ" and "Mobsters and Mormons" do nothing like this and just make us look like a bunch of raving lunatics. Little wonder that other's have a hard time accepting us when those movies are their only exposure to the Church. (Thank you Richard Duetcher and Halestrom Entertainment!) Ugh. I wish you luck in finding a place to rent it, but for all you Netflixters out there, I would bet you might find it. Next week: Fiddler on the Roof.

5 comments:

Aaron & Kalle said...

This has nothing todo with your post, but I didn't think you would see it other wise. Congradulations on your upcoming addition to your family. You will both be great parents. We look forward to any cousins close to Maya in age, as we won't have many on our side of the family. Good luck Laney, I hope everything will go good and both of you will have a safe couple of months.

Kent and Leisy said...

have you even seen "baptists at our bbq"? come on taylor, I bet you'd really enjoy it. but you guys really should go and get "everything is illuminated"! I think you'd like it.

Erin said...

I totally agree with you on mormon movies. Hopefully, Blockbuster nationwide will ban these movies.

Kent and Leisy said...

p.s. I've never seen "baptists at our bbq"

Jason & Shannon said...

We also agree with you on the comment about mormon movies. Some of them are funny, but they do make mormons look like lunatics. Seriously!