3.20.2008

Chicago and Toledo!



We made it back from our trip in one piece. Our flight left Chicago yesterday at 7:00 AM and we had to wake up at 4:30 in the morning to get to the airport in time! Anyway, life is back on track and we had a wonderful time. We flew into Detriot and Taylor's cousin Rachael picked us up (thanks for the ride Rachael! And the great company. When you left, I think Zeb missed your laugh) We all went to Leisy and Kent's and had dinner together which was quite enjoyable. It was good to see them and Zeb is adorable, and slightly crazy. I think he gets it from leisy.




We went to the Toledo Museum of Art which was incredible. The city of Toledo is actually quite dumpy and ugly, so I wasn't expecting much- but it has an incredible collection! It had Monet, Van Gogh, Rembrandt, Rothko, Pissaro, Manet, mummies, and the most beautiful theatre I have ever seen. I highly recommend the Toledo Museum of Art!






We left Toledo on Sunday evening after a nice Sunday. Leisy and Kent had the sister missionaries over for dinner and we quite enjoyed them, it made me want to live in a place where you can really get to know the missionaries and work with them on appointments and such. After dinner we took the bus to Chicago from Toledo which was an experience to remember. It was a four hour drive and this friendly black man sitting next to us named Vance decided to become friends with us. He was the most talkative man I have ever met. He served in the persian gulf war and told us about Iraq, and he was on his way to the VA hospital Chicago. We tried to read but he just kept talking. Half way to Chicago he said to us, "I know where you all are from, you are from Utah!" We laughed and asked him how he knew and he told us he didn't want to offend us, I insisted that he wouldn't offend us and he said, "when the two of you walked on the bus I thought, those people are clean and pure! they must be from Utah." We laughed and then he told Taylor that he should take real good care of me because I am worth my weight in Platinum.



Anyway, we finally arrived in Chicago and had a wonderful time. We went to Museums and the gift show, I found some great stuff for the store. It was a good trip, we walked a lot! I forget how much you walk when you go to big cities. Chicago was beautiful! I loved it. It was like New York but better. We stayed in a super nice hotel thanks to Aunt Kim and her Marriot friends and family rate! Taylor loved the hotel because the shower head was tall enough that he could fit under it. The place was super fancy and the bed was huge! We loved it.



Here are a few more pictures of us in Chicago, we tried to get a picture of the River (it was turned green for St. Patrick's day) but none of them really showed up. For all of you who want a pregnant picture of me, I have included a few in this post. I tried to hide it in most of the pictures but the bump is getting too big. When I saw Leisy, the first thing she said to me was, "you don't look that pregnant, you just look like you ate a really big lunch!" Thank you Leisy. I can't decide if that is a compliment or not. But Rachael(taylor's cousin) did tell me that I don't look squatty which was nice to hear. Thank you Rachael.


10 comments:

Aaron & Kalle said...

Laney, you look great. I have been waiting for an accidental picture to show up. Enjoy this time before the little grows to squish your inards. You look just like you should, pregnant, with a beautiful gift from above, that has not hit their I really cooking now stage. Glad to hear Rach gave you a wonderful compliment. I also do not think you look squatty at all.

The De Souzas said...

Sounds like a great trip. You'll be so glad you and Taylor had lots of adventures before kids came along (not that you can't have adventures after kids, but you have to focus on a lot more than just each other).

I do have to say that I'm a little disturbed by the picture of Taylor in the shower. It reminds me of an American Idol performance by a guy named Keith. He sang "Like a Virgin," and I'm pretty sure his hands were in the same position as Taylor's are in that picture. Kinda makes me shudder. :)

Matt Clayton said...

Since I haven't seen you forever...Congrats on the baby! I'm excited to see what it looks like. :) Squeeze.

Kent and Leisy said...

happy birthday shmirthday!!
did you call toledo dumpy and ugly?! it's just the winter nastiness! i'm glad you found at least a few things that you liked here.

Rachael said...

what a great trip! Love the pics. and happy birthday! I love that it's the first day of spring. That is a great day to celebrate anyway!

yaya said...

Laney, Kathy Starkey here,(aka yaya)Happy Birthday and I'm so glad you visited not only my lovely state of Ohio (although we live in a much prettier section than Toledo) but also my wonderful home town of Chicago. It's the best! Wish I could have taken you on a tour. Plus my Mom would have made you the best Greek dinner ever! Have a wonderful birthday!

Kent and Leisy said...

p.s. great pregnant belly pics.

Nate and Jessica said...

i think you look adorable and did that man know you aren't pure?

Rachael said...

I am so happy to see the documentation of your trip. It was too much fun to catch up for a short time. Let me know when you decide about where to go next. I hope your new address doesn't include any words that rhyme with any part of cinco de mayo. ha!

Lindsay said...

I think you guys were there a little before us. The river was back to its ugly brown color. i LOVE the picture of you standing under the shower head. classic.
p.s. such a relief you weren't one of the freaks leaving comments!