3.25.2008

A favor for my wife...




Well, Laney has been after me for somewhile for not posting. So, while she is marking down at the Gap, I'll take this opportunity to not do my eternal homework, but instead, please my wife. She had a rough day, as most Tuesday's are (full of school, work, more work, early mornings, no time for lunch, no time for dinner, blah blah blah). We survived, though. Today was special in that the usual routine of Young Women's was replaced by the Republican Party Caucuses. Very interesting. I've never been to one before, while Laney has been sent to the state Repubilcan Convention as a delegate. I think that there were 12 people from our precint there, so we definitely got our voices heard. When we went around and introduced ourselves, I started, and said the usual, but I said that I would be interested in being a delegate. Someone said I "I nominate him" and someone else said, "Second." The chair said "Any opposition? . . . None. Well, we have our first county delegate." So, here I am, very disenfranchised with the Utah County Republican Party Platform in that it is way way way way way too too too too conservative. Everything is just so cut and dry. I'm surprised the ink wasn't red. Though I do feel that I agree with the vast majority of the document, some of the stances are so conservative it kinda scares me. It was nice to see an environmental section, though, and I did agree with that. (You would have been proud Steve.)
Laney didn't have as good as luck. She was nominated for State Delegate running against a guy who works for the Dave Leavitt campaign. (I wonder who he is going to vote for.) I have another friend who works for the campaign, and she told me that he was in our precinct. Laney's approach was "I'm not committed, but I'm open to both candidates." His was "Dave is our man. He's our only man. Chris Cannon has failed us." Just blowin' smoke. It was close, 7-5. I sure hope that Mark Brown voted for her because I ASSIGN HIS HOMETEACHING!!! No, it was good. I felt politically active and informed. I'll be going to the county convention. I'm glad I'm getting involved in this political process while I'm young. I hope to take this attitude with me to where e'er we go, and it really helps having an equally active (arguably more) wife.
In hindsight, I never posted about Laney's birthday. It was good. We went to Chef's Table for dinner and watched an episode of CSI:NY on the internet. Last year I learned that Hamlet wasn't her thing, so the next best thing to Law and Order was CSI. I got her some headscarves, which she will post pictures of soon.

I did have a personal accomplishment over the past few weeks that I haven't really told anyone about. It solidifies my interests in the Theater. On imeem.com, I have been favorited. Yes, favorited. Over the past few months I have been making a master broadway list, of all my favorites and even a few of the new songs that I don't really have a context for, but really like anyway (I'm thinking Jekyll and Hyde, which I have tinkering to go and see). Two seperate people have favorited my playlist. The list is up to 101 songs and I listen to it way too often, but still, it is good to know that other people appreciate my interests. Granted, they are both 14-year-old girls, but hey, a favorite is a favorite. (And to think, I haven't even added any Roger's & Hammerstien yet.) And to explain the music selection, I had another memorable moment this week. I heard a Dixie Chicks' song on the radio this week. I can honestly say that I do not remember hearing a single one of their songs on the radio since they said those infamous words in England. Even with the Grammys, I don't remember any single station, country or not, playing their songs. My mouth dropped when I heard them. Ask yourself when the last time you heard one of their songs on the radio. Pretty long ago, huh?

3 comments:

Kari Ann said...

What a nice husband to drop your homework and post for your wife. I looked at all your pictures of your trip...how fun. And I love the cute little belly!

Rich and Kellie said...

I should have known you sassy people blog!!! i found out all these hot ladies in our ward are blogging...who knew???? check us out and ignore the swear words :) hahah.... www.richandkellie.blogspot.com

Kent and Leisy said...

who in the heck is dace leavitt? all leavitts cause problems you know! congrats on the activism taylor! and they actually play the dixie chicks out here every so often (although not as often as I'd like). I think the ultra conservative state of utah might be one of the last places to still be boycotting them completely.