4.20.2008

We are stil alive!

It's been weeks since we have blogged, and we have been so dang busy with projects and finals we haven't had time for much of anything. These past few weeks have been great, just busy. We have finally started to get some things ready for a baby, we now have crib bedding. And we bought it at Ikea, we quite like it. I've included this picture.



I also had a little baby shower on Saturday with my old roommates, it was wonderful. It was just a small group of us and it was great. We sure wish Hillarie was still around! And we missed Kim and Jackie too! We have discovered that when we get together we talk too much and we get really loud so we can never have other people around with us, they get overwhelmed. I have included a picture, and I kind of hate it of myself, I look about as wide as can be but it's the only picture I have of the event and since I really am getting as wide as can be, I figured I can't hide it forever, so here I am in my wideness.




Anyway thanks to my girlfriends I am now slightly more prepared for a baby. We have a package of diapers and some binkies and things, and really, do you need anything else? Plus they gave me that book about things to expect the first year, and it seems to cover more than is neccessary.

So life is great, I wish I had some great pregnant stories to tell, but no strangers have tried to touch my belly yet! One lady last week told me that in a few weeks I am going to start to look and feel like a whale. I said, "why that sounds exciting." However I am starting to feel more and more like people think I am handicapped, more than once people have asked me if I should be doing something (like carrying a chair, or lifting boxes) in "my condition." What does that mean? I am in great condition. Just last week someone at work asked if I was okay walking up the stairs and that maybe I should take the elevator. But really being pregant has been quite easy thus far, and I am just grateful that I feel so good. I am going to the doctor this week and I have this fear that he is going to tell me I can't run or go to the gym anymore. I think I would have to ignore his advice. I only have seven more weeks to go-if it comes early it's ready to come anyway. If any of you have any great bits of wisdom (you know the stuff you wish you'd known, or what you would have died without) to share of things we need to do this next month before the baby comes, please share!

14 comments:

Jan Schiffman said...

I just can't help but wonder if I called you Leisy the other day and if I did, I wanted to say sorry. I totally knew who you were and I didn't want to seem insincere. I am really happy for you to become a parent. Its crazy fun.

Erin said...

My advice: listen to your doctor.
He probably won't tell you to stop doing anything unless you're having contractions.

Good luck! Countdown is on!

Emily said...

Not a lot of people know what pre-labor feels like (I'm not sure if all pre-labor feels the same way though) so I like sharing this with all pregos that ask. :)

They say that a "real" contraction is when the whole tummy goes hard. Well, (my) pre-labor was just really low pains...just at the bottom of the tummy. After an hour I decided to time them and they were 3 minutes apart. SO, even with 7 weeks left (Evie was 6.5 weeks early) I thought I would share that with you anyway. You'll do great! I can't wait to see if your baby has Taylor's height!!!

Aaron & Kalle said...

The best advice I got was to keep active. By this I do not mean running marathons, but walking every day. The days I felt the best nearing the end I had had walked a lot. I would go out and walk 1-2 miles on top of normal daily walking. Other than that, a body pillow works wonderful for sleeping as is gets tougher. Are you having a Hawes family baby shower? Send us an invitation if you do, we would love to come. Don't let people talk you into needing tons of clothing. Your baby will be great with just a handful of articles like onsies and sleepers for the first while. I have brand new clothing for Maya that we never wore.

Jeff said...

OK...this is going to sound stalker-crazy, but I was doing a google search for the JD/MUP program at UB and I linked to this blog. Weird. Anyway, my wife and I are both from Utah County and now we live in Buffalo. I am getting a Master's degree in economics at UB. You can link to our blog and make a comment if you need any help with the move or anything like that. Or you can leave your email and we can send you an email with some info about the ward and apartments and everything else. I'm thinking about applying to the JD/MUP program, so I am excited to meet you guys. Sorry if this is a little weird! Gotta love Google!

Jeff and Abby

Eliza said...

Laney,
Read about c-sections-just in case. I always skipped that part in the books I read because I wasn't having one. Well, lfe is full of surprises!

Nate and Jessica said...

Oh I bet if I took more time to think of it I would have lots to say, but I agree with what someone said above...you don't need tons of clothes. It just becomes a mess...and also...after you have the baby remember that life WILL return to a sense of normalcy. If you are like most women I know, it's all a bit much to take in, but it will get better!

Kent and Leisy said...

great bedding. SEND ME YOSHIDAS please :)

Wanamakers in Boston said...

Let's be honest, who doesn't like to give advice? So here's mine - get out and do a lot of fun things with other people and don't get bored or too focused on the baby coming. Waiting can hard, just pretend like you're only 6 months pregnant! Make sure you have a car seat! Good luck . . .

autumnbottom said...

Clearly i am a bad friend for not checking your blog in...ummm...forever because i had no idea you were not only pregnant but darn near ready to pop. CONGRATULATIONS! I actually came on here to find your contact info to tell you that i too am pregnant though not nearly the "popping" stage. End of August by all accounts. Actually, this means that the last time i saw you, in October, you likely already knew! Cheeky monkey... ;)

Breanne said...

I remember someone wondering if I should lift things while I was pregnant, and I was holding my toddler at the time too! The nerve! Anyway, my advice is to get your hospital stuff ready. You never know when the baby will come, so be prepared. And a little tid bit, don't expect to be able to wear your pre-pregnancy clothes for awhile. Just pack a great pair of pajama pants for the trip home. Also, it doesn't matter what your house looks like or what you need to do, When that baby is asleep you need to sleep too! Cleaning the house is what husbands are for.
I hope this helped and sorry that I was rambling. :)

Rachael said...

Yes, yes - I say amen to everything said before. And sleep lots at first even if you think your baby'll keep sleeping all the time and you don't really need to sleep everytime they do. At least for my babies, they outgrow that after a few days and I always wish I'd slept more while I could! And don't wake up sleeping babies. Even little ones. What was I thinking?!! Knowing about being in labor is really tricky, even for number 4 I found out. Fortunately, you live close to a hospital and don't have the traffic dilemma I faced last time. I always think getting there will make it better and make the baby come faster or something, but it's so much more enjoyable to be at home in labor. Stay home until it hurts a lot and then go, even if you're bored. Waiting at the hospital is the pits! :) It's amazing how much fun it is to talk about having babies, so much better than actually doing it again! I can't wait to see pics of your little one! You'll be a great mom!

Kim said...

So random, so the man Jeff that posted the comment on your blog saying he found you via google.. well anyway his wife Abby and I did cougarettes together. They are great and you guys will love them. Become friends with them!

Kim Crane

Amy and Craig said...

I do have something that was extremely helpful to me. I'm sending it to hailey and she'll wrap it up for the shower on the 17th (if only I could be there too!). Also a diaper genie is nice at the beginning as you go through LOTS of diapers each day and almost all are stinky at first. If you're planning on nursing you've got to get some Lily padz. They are the only kind of nursing pad that I could handle. Well worth the money. If you have a boy huggies seem to work the best (those little guys can pee everywhere except for the diaper). Those are my pearls of wisdom from the past 6 years of motherhood. Please please please call me if you have any questions. It validates me!