5.11.2008

our trip to capitol reef

Our trip down south was quite enjoyable, the weather was wonderful and Capitol Reef is beautiful. It is strange to think how close we live to all this cool stuff and people travel from all over the world to see it. We camped at a little campground in the middle of the park and it was great, all except for the crazy disgusting caterpillar nests. There are these nasty furry like pods in all the trees all over the park that are swarming with nasty furry caterpillars and they were just falling out of the trees. We had to strategically place our tent far away from the trees. I couldn't even look at the nasty things, they gave me the dry heaves. They were everywhere!













We hiked a bit and enjoyed the sights, we saw petroglyphs and met lots of europeans, we ate at strange little utah restaurants, and we enjoyed each others company. We only stayed overnight but it was a perfect little weekend away, we got a little bit of sun and I ate my favorite cookies, Keebler Rainbow Chip. (I only get them for road trips and special occasions). We highly recommend a trip to Capitol Reef to all.






10 comments:

the Kprows! said...

I LOVE caterpillars! My email is even tenthecaterpillar, however I did come up with that when I was 14, but it's stuck since then. Putting that down on a resume has made me think twice about changing it. :) Anyway there can be too much of a good thing and come to think of it if I saw a nest of that many caterpillars I might get the creepy crawlies. One fuzzy little guy is cute, but a whole mess of them is questionable. Looks like you two had tons of depsite the procreating caterpillars.

Kent and Leisy said...

I am SO reclaiming my shoes when I come back this summer. are those the capris I lent you? They were super comfy-but they were always sliding down. looks like fun- the caterpillars are amazing. I have never seen anything like that.

Ammon said...

Your pictures are AMAZING! And I'm with you on the caterpillar thing - more than 2 at a time is just too gross. -Erin

Kent and Leisy said...

I love that ammon's school picture is attached to his name when he (or erin) blogs.

The De Souzas said...

Oh GAG ME! Those caterpillar nests are DISGUSTING. I had to keep looking away. I don't remember the last time a picture made me dry heave. Blech. Other than that.....glad you guys had a good time. It's so much better to visit these southern places in the spring (even late winter) than the nasty summer!

Nate and Jessica said...

Wow those things are so so gross. Nightmarish. You still look great.

autumnbottom said...

You two are so cute!

I'm hoping a get a chance to get out and do a bit of hiking here in the NW before bebe-time. But working 60 hours per week it's looking a little questionable. Oh well, mountains aren't going anywhere i guess...

Naomi said...

I'm glad you didn't have your baby on the camping trip, I don't how much help that book Taylor got would have been?!?

The Hansen's said...

May I just say that you Hawes's are an amazingly adorable couple! I can't wait till there is a Taylor or Laney nino prancing about! I am so proud of you Tay on the graduation and the not so far of Masters and Doctorate! You are an inspiration to the rest of us slackers!

Kent said...

I want my very own caterpillar nest!