6.08.2008

Welcome Henry Philip Hawes

Here is baby Hank's first real picture. He looks like an alien baby, check out that cone head. I never actually saw him like this but taylor did, and the doctor told him to take a picture of the head because it would go down within the hour, so here he is. Don't worry, he has gotten a tad bit better looking. But I was pushing for 2 1/2 hours and the poor little guy had the cord wrapped around his neck when he came out, so he was a little traumatized. He was 7ibs and 19 inches long. I hope to never have a bigger baby.







Here is our first family picture, notice how nice taylor looks compared to myself and the baby. Taylor was a wonderful help through the delivery however. My only request to him was that he not cheer me on while I pushed or tell me things like, "you can do it! or keep going!" He didn't give me a single word of annoying encouragement, he was perfect. Overall, the delivery was great, I wouldn't say I enjoyed it, but I am alive and well. And so are Taylor and baby.





We had little Henry on friday the 6th. He came a little earlier than I had hoped, I missed two weddings this weekend (sorry Whitney and Bethany!) but I imagine it was all worth it. I woke up friday morning and headed off to the gym for kickboxing, i felt wonderful and class was going just fine until about six fifteen when I round house kicked to the left, and as I came down, I felt a warm wet sensation in my shorts. My first thought was, "o my goodness, I just peed my pants." I then realized that the liquid kept coming, so I tore off to the bathroom (all along the way, the water just kept coming) and realized I was soaking wet. Once in the bathroom, I concluded that I had probably not in fact peed my pants, but my water had broken, seeing as how it wasn't yellow and it just kept coming and coming! I waited a bit and headed back to class to get my keys, jacket, and waterbottle where it was obvious to all (by my soaking wet shorts, and the puddle I had made) that I wasn't going to be finishing class. My teacher got excited and the class all cheered me off as a friend of mine (liliana, who is also nine months pregnant) walked me to the parking lot and wished me luck. It was all kind of exciting and scary- mostly because I realized I was going to have a baby and there was nothing I could do about it. I put my sweathshirt on the car seat so I wouldn't leak too much in the car and I called Leisy to ask her what to do- she just laughed and said, I guess you should go to the hospital. I drove home and woke Taylor up and we showered, Taylor did our dishes from the night before and packed a hospital bag (of course we hadn't packed one yet) while I got ready to go (I figured since I wasn't having any contractions or anything, I might as well take the time to do my make-up and hair for the day). We then went to breakfast, ran a few errands, and set off for the hospital. When we arrived at the hospital, I don't think they believed that I was ready to have a baby, but they did the tests and realized I was in fact ready to have a baby. They started pitocin a few hours later and voila, by six thirty pm, we had a baby boy. All I have to say about the whole labor and contraction thing is, thank heavens for the epidural! I thought maybe I could do it without (and I am sure I could have) but after feeling those contractions and all that pain, I don't know why I would ever want to! Everything was so much easier and better with the epidural. Unfortunately, the epidural didn't quite take as well as it should have, and a few times I thought I was going to die (really, I couldn't believe how badly it hurt), but the Anesthesiologist was always nearby, and he was kind enough to return and give me more medicine. Thank heaven for pain killers! Labor is so much better when you can't feel anything, and you can just chat with the doctor and nurses between pushes.

Anyway, here is our little bugaboo, he doesn't really fit in his car seat, and he is still a little squishy, but we quite like him and we have decided to keep him. We will post more pictures of the little guy soon. Thanks for all your well wishes!







25 comments:

Mel said...

Congratulations! Your little guy is sooo handsome! That first picture was a little bit full monty for me, but I am so glad that everything went well. I can't wait to meet him!

sam and brittney said...

laney,
he is sooo cute! i can't believe that you went into labor at kickboxing! that is a great story and to be honest i'm really not that suprised. katie posted about it on her blog. we will have to come and see him when we get back into town. oh, i really like the name hank.

Lindsi said...

YEAH!!! Congratulations Laney and Taylor. Whoever is holding him in the last picture has real nice legs too. They should be proud! I won't be able to see him before I leave so tell him not to do anything to cute or cool until I get back. Okay? Love you all! (I originally wrote "love you both" but then I realized that there is now more than two of you.)

Kent and Leisy said...

get rid of that binky. it's hideous and they are expensive- go get some less expensive and nicer looking ones and then never take it out of his mouth. we use MAMs and Zeb loves them. that first picture is VERY alienesque. wow. nice conehead. that carseat picture is my fave. He looks all wiry and ticked off. He kinda has a laney face on. really he is kinda cute- let's hope he doesn't get bad baby acne like zebby.

Amy and Craig said...

Congrats! Isn't it great to NOT be prego anymore? I remember that moment after taylor especially. Nice to sleep on my stomach again. I also love the carseat pic. so funny! We're hoping to meet him in person in Aug(we'll try to intercept your cross-country drive). Love the Henry and the Hank! Love you all!

UsedToBeDay said...

Oh my heck! He is so great! So great!! Makes me want to cry to think we'll get one in 3 more months. Super congrats peeps. I can't wait to meet him :)

chiggy said...

Hi Laney!!!! Congratulations. You were awesome. I am in tears right now thinking about you and your baby. He was born on my birthday!!! He is adorable. I want to come see you. I am going to WI for a week and a half. Can I come see you when I get home? Love ya and Congrats. You are awesome. He is a doll.

Kim said...

Laney Congrats! I can't believe you were just taking your time getting to the hospital. I love it. I'll have to come see him soon. Hank is a great name!
kim crane

Annie O said...

Did I mention how cute he is? But all could have done without that conehead picture--yuck and double yuck.

Hugs and kisses to Henry P and good work mummy and daddy.

The Hansen's said...

Taylo! I can't believe that your a daddio now! Many congratulations to you Laney and baby Hank, which by the way I love the name and the pictures! (Although the cone-head one alarmed me a bit...poor baby...just trying to make it into the world) *sigh*! I am glad that baby and momsie are both doing well! Congrats again!!!

Joseph said...

I wish I could hear this story from your mouth. Congratulations.

autumnbottom said...

Congratulations! He's absolutely perfect!

JT & Lizzie Davis said...

That is a great story. Congrats, you two!

Rachael said...

I love all the details! he's darling, conehead and all! congratulations!!

Breanne said...

Congrats!! He is so cute! I love the name Henry, but Pat won't go for it. lol

Lacey Freeman said...

congrats! he looks so little!

yaya said...

Congrats Laney and Taylor and welcome little Hank! Cute,cute,cute and those skinny little legs are amazing! Maybe we'll catch you in OH when you shuffle off to Buffalo

The De Souzas said...

Check out those long legs!!!! And he has such a beautiful little face. You'll have to let me know how recovery is treating you. Sounds like labor/delivery wasn't as traumatic as you feared. Great going-into-labor story.

P.S. Let's hope those legs in the last picture belong to Taylor. :)

Jamie :) said...

Oh yay for you two! Congratulations! He is absolutely adorable!

The Corbetts said...

Congrats he's very cute. Were happy for you guys

IngridLola said...

Ah! Laney, he is so cute. Congratulations!!! I'm glad everything went ok, thanks for not posting any graphic pictures.

Mike and Carly said...

He is so CUTE! I wish I was there to cuddle him and Avery would love him too! Look at how long his feet are, they are way longer than Avery's! Just like his dad I guess! I can't wait to see you guys! When are you leaving for Buffalo. I need to call you but I figured that you need some time to get home and let calls die down. I seriously can't believe you are a mm. Think where we were two years ago, sharing a room....

LauraJ said...

Congrats to all of you guys! We hope the first few days at home have gone smoothly and that you are catching some Zzzzs!

Jenny Bay said...

Wow, congratulations!! I am so happy for you guys, babies are the best! And yours is just adorable! :) Have fun!

Naomi said...

Laney, you crack me up! I can't believe how laid back you are, you still had time to do your hair and make up!!! This is one cool story!
I can't wait to met little Hank, he is going to be one funny kid with you two as parents!