3.03.2009

Read to your children...

Everyone says you should read to your children starting at an early age...but has anyone ever tried to read a book to an eight month old? It rarely works. However, with Henry's nine month birthday just around the corner, we are finally experiencing some success. Up until these past few weeks, Henry has just tried to eat books, but now he will actually touch them and look at pictures. The only books we have had any success with are the Touch & Feel books with very bright pictures and very few words. At least we are making progress.

Henry has found a new love: (why do they have to be so messy?)

I have been working on my homemaking skills as of late. This past week I learned how to make an orca whale (Thank you Tyler & Mackenzie!) As you can see, I made two of them. Upon close inspection you can see many a mistake, but Henry loves them, so what else really matters. And they take less than an hour to make from start to finish once you get the hang of it. This may be as far as my sewing skills will ever take me, but I quite like them. And I did promise taylor that once my thesis is done I am going to attempt some pillows for our bed. Wish me luck! As I walked around the fabric store last week looking for felt for my whales, I felt like a fish out of water. Domesticity (is that a word?) is not one of my strengths.

And lastly, Henry is crazy about his sock monkey: Argyle Kyle. (We didn't name him, he came with that name) But Hanky Panky loves this little guy, and everytime he sees him, he attacks him.

video

7 comments:

Kent and Leisy said...

let's hope that one's ability to make orca whales does not equate domesticity.

Dave and Michelle Howell said...

Think of it more as an art store and creativity- it's less intimidating. Fun whales!

BradandBecca said...

Laney-I must say that your little boy is so adorable. Your videos make me laugh-I love the monkey attack one and the push-up/crawling video. He is so cute. He and Lexi would have some fun together.
Becca
PS-Heard from Brad that you had him over for dinner-that was really nice of you.

Amy and Craig said...

cute whales, but REALLY cute baby! didn't taylor make zeb a sock monkey with no arms??? why can't Hanky panky have one of those? oh and the reason he loves teddy grahams is BECAUSE they are messy. it's more than half the fun!

Kent and Leisy said...

Reading those "That's not my ______" books was the only thing that would calm Zeb down in the hospital last year. He probably loved them because his Auntie Laney bought them for him. Maybe we should be better and buy Henry something... - Kent

Jeff and Whitney said...

wow, nice Orca skills! I'm totally impressed, mostly because I just sewed on my first (and so far only) button last year. I MISS YOU! I took my 4th graders on a field trip to the MOA to see the "I spy" exhibit and I was so sad I couldn't introduce them to you! (but the exhibit is awesome)

Ilene Holt said...

Wow! You are so domestic. I hope to someday conquer domesticity. You have a cute child. I hope he stops puking at some point. It's good to see what's up in your life! You can visit my life at www.calvinholtfamily.blogspot.com if ya wanna. Ciao.