4.25.2009

henry hates the pool

We went to a friend's house to swim today, Henry was not happy about it one bit, until...his new best friend Melanie gave him his first ever popsicle. As soon as the popsicle was gone, he remembered how unhappy he was about being in a giant bucket of water with splashing screaming kids.
The kid is in love with the Touch and Feel story books
He also thinks they are Touch and Eat story books.
Our last bit of blog worthy news, I made a dish that Taylor deemed an eleven last night. We have a scale system of one to ten. Anything above six means we can make it again, and eight or higher means make it often, and according to Taylor, an eleven means it's the best thing I have ever made. We borrowed a curry book from our British friend Antoinette and I made Chicken Tikka Massala. I had to go to a store called the World Bazaar to get most of the ingredients and it turned out pretty darn good. If you aren't an Indian Food fan, you'd probably hate it, but we loved it. I used some crazy ingredients- and I even ground & created my own curry. The ingredients were mostly new to me, but I think we may be using them all a lot more often. I used cardamom, kalla jeera (black cumin), a stick of cinnamon, cloves, plain yogurt, regular cumin, grated fresh ginger, garlic, onions, tomatoes, coriander, paprika, and a few other strange things. Taylor thinks I should make it every week- however, it was a lot of work, so he may only get it once a month.





12 comments:

Nate and Jessica said...

I hate the pool too. Yummy food...too bad I use a curry packet from Wal-Mart and am now curry-lazy.

Philip Oswald said...

ooooh that Henry P is sooooo cute. And the dish sounds great. Make it when you come home in August. I've tried to call you a few times and haven't been able to reach you. Metta says the same thing. Been busy?

Have a great Sunday.

Philip Oswald said...

Oooops. That last message is really Nannie Annie sending from Philip's account.

XXOO N.A.

Joseph said...

Oh no! I think my FB message is too late. But Indian curry is better/very different from Japanese curry. Sounds delicious.

Amy and Craig said...

Looks good, unfortunately Craig insists he has IBS when Indian food is mentioned.

Kent and Leisy said...

you STOLE our food scale!! that looks TERRIBLE bytheway.

Kent and Leisy said...

he looks like one of robert and laura's kids in the side shot. Oh-and I think he really is thinning out now.

Hansen Household said...

Laney your Chicken Tikka Massala looks delicious!!! You will have to post the recipe or email it over to me at kimmyhansen@gmail.com We just love Indian food and Blake would probably fall over backwards if I attempted it. I've never made any Indian, we just love to go eat it, but it looks good.

autumnbottom said...

Chicken Tikka Masala runs a very very close second to Butter Chicken in my mind. Of course, now that you have the ingredients for Tikka Masala, Butter Chicken should be a snap!

Susan said...

It's look delicious. I love Indian foo. Your little boy is so cute. Loving the pic of him eating the popsicle.

Rachael said...

I can't believe how grown up he looks in those pictures!! I made a teriyaki chicken from total scratch last week and it was a TON of work, but sure tasted great. I agree - it's only fun every once in awhile. Post the recipe, though! I just made a coconut curry chicken this week and LOVED my yummy leftovers for lunches. Derek doesn't love it at all, so the leftovers are always mine! It's just an onion chopped, cooked in butter with 3 chopped up chicken breasts. When they are cooked, pour a can of coconut milk over the top, add curry and garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste. Nothing fancy, but it's sure good! :)

Wanamakers in Boston said...

That's my favorite Indian dish. Every time we eat indian I try to branch out, but can never convince myself that something new could possibly be better than Chicken Tikka Masala!