9.20.2009

I'm sick. very sick.

I consider myself a healthy person, I don't normally get sick, and if I do, it never stays around long...until that is, I had a baby. A few days after Henry was born I got the first sinus infection of my life, it was awful! And it lasted more than a week! Ever since then, when I get sick it lasts forever and almost always goes to my sinuses. ew. I was semi-sick all August, and then it went away for a week or so, and now voila, I am sick again, but its worse. I have a fever, body aches, and cheese grater throat (you know when it feels like you rubbed a cheese grater on your throat & every time you swallow you want to cry). I am sleeping horribly, I feel rotten, and I think I have exceeded the allowable limit for excedrin and advil in a given week. I finally went to the doctor on Friday, they didn't tell me much, nor did they check me for strep. But they did write me a perscription and they told me to fill it if I was still sick when I woke up this morning. I was most definitely still sick this morning, and I have started the Amoxicillin, but that doesn't help with the pain. I told Taylor to go get me some magical drug at walgreens today. It is interesting how much you desperately want all the promises on the labels of the medicine to be true, especially the night time ones. I ended up choosing some awful blue liquid that promises instant relief on my sore throat...we'll see if it works when I wake up in the middle of the night. I just can't wait that twenty minutes for the pain to go away when I take regular pain killers. Has anyone ever tried this stuff?

Other than being sick, things are going well around here. We had a delicious dinner tonight, a new recipe. It was sweet potato sausage stew. Taylor gave it an 8.5 on the dinner scale. I ate it, but I couldn't really taste it, so I will have to give it a score the next time we make it, but it seemed really good. I am posting a picture and the recipe. It looks kind of funny, but Taylor really loved it and it was super easy. We of course topped it with sour cream.


1/2-1 Box of chicken stock (we only did a half, and it needed more liquid!) 1 can of diced tomatoes... 1 can kidney beans... 2 garlic cloves crushed...1 1/2 tsp cumin.... 2 tsp paprika.... 1 1/2 tsp salt.... 3/4 tsp pepper....... we added carrots, but it didn't call for them..... 1/2 lb- 1lb Cooked chopped sausage (we did garlic & herb chicken sausage), you could do chicken instead we did both ......1 large or two small sweet potatoes chopped in small cubes..... 1/4 - 1/2 cup of apple juice concentrate or 1 -2 cups apple juice (depending how sweet you like it)

Let it simmer until the sweet potatoes are soft or put it in a crock pot for a few hours. mmm.


I also went to craft night this week at church and made this neat little necklace, it was super cheap, $1.50 for the chain and the charms. The charms are actually washers and we just pounded letters on them. And now I get to wear a necklace on my neck that expresses my love for taylor. Pretty cheesy, I know, but I really like the necklace. And lastly, here is the screamer after his bath this evening. Don't mind the bit of nudity.


10 comments:

Autumn said...

That belly of Henry's is completely adorable. I want to blow raspberries on it!

Kent and Leisy said...

once it cools down we'll definitely make the soup/stew- but maybe minus the cumin and plus some curry?! and I don't think the nudity counts if everything's "hidden". sorry about the sore throat- NOTHING'S worse. I had all sorts of crazy illnesses after zeb was born. I even got an ear infection!? and now after Ike I've got tmj and a bad gall bladder.

Erin said...

Your posts always make me laugh! Hank is so funny . . . and he'll only get funnier. Hope you feel better soon.

Annie O said...

We got the sickness here too. Must be in the genes. Only I don't have the terrible sore throat (knock on wood).

Mike, Kalie, Jason, and Lexie Borynski said...

Feel Better! I am so sad I missed the necklace activity... darn newborns always wanting to eat ;-) Thanks for the recipe... I can never think of what to make!

Dave and Michelle Howell said...

More garlic - that'll cure everything.

Philip Oswald said...

Much better!!!

Rachael said...

so sorry about the sickness. Moms really shouldn't ever have to be sick. It's twice as hard to get better when you are taking care of everyone else. That soup looks yummy - thanks for the recipe. And how did you pound the letters into the washers? I LOVE that project!!

Mike, Kalie, Jason, and Lexie Borynski said...

Thanks for the recipe again...it was a hit in our house too... it turned out great... Jason loved it! I can never get him to eat tomatoes and beans...

Amy and Craig said...

cute baby and cute necklace and yes I've had that tylenol stuff. it tastes horrendous but thankfully you can't taste anything. I can't remember if it works. not as well as the nyquil before they took the alcohol out. nothing works worth beans anymore. I'm sick too and Katie has the "flu". The ped says they're assuming it's H1N1. Hopefully the rest of us will avoid it. horrible cough, but you remember that!:>