10.15.2009

dead giraffes


Our neighbor and zoo resident Akili the giraffe died today. The zoo people don't know why she died. I personally think that H1N1 has hit the zoo. This recent death of another one of our neighbors only brings me to ask the same question I asked last week...where do dead giraffes go? In my last post about dead elephants, someone in New Zealand (whom I have never met, nor do I know) happened upon my blog and told me that when the elephant died at their zoo, they chose an undisclosed location in the Zoo and buried it there. I can only hope they decide to bury the giraffe on the premises, if they want, I will even volunteer my back yard. But really, I am even more committed to learning the fate of VERY large and difficult to dispose of animal carcasses. The newspaper article about it all, says that part of her will be incinerated and part will be donated. My questions are: What parts? Who cuts her up? And what kind of tool do you use to cut up a giraffe? I will talk to the Zoo keepers soon. I am just dying to know. Until then, you will all just have to wait.

13 comments:

Erin said...

Sounds like they're doing a Halloween special promotion - dead animals = ghosts for certain!

Kent and Leisy said...

I'm not going near your zoo. creepy creepy. large animals dropping like flies.

Annie O said...

Guten tag from Frankfurt!

Is Akili your neighbor who could look in your front window? You'll miss her.

XXOO to Henry P.

Anthony and Kristie said...

Your zoo updates are much more interesting then the one they mail out to all the zoo members.

Jeff and Whitney said...

I'm glad that someone thinks to ask these questions. Thanks for getting the scoop. PS I love the family picture on your blog.

yaya said...

Even Mister Rogers wouldn't want to be your neighbor...Oh wait, he's already deceased. BTW, if any big cats bite the dust, don't eat Chinese for a bit.

Nate and Jessica said...

I wonder if the dead animals would rattle if you shook them. You know, like dead rabbits. Oh wait, those ones were frozen huh.

Rachael said...

No more of these tantalizing posts with fascinating questions. I need ANSWERS, Laney!! Find out about the epidemic at the zoo and report back - ASAP!

Rachel Price said...

Haha! Laney I just love your blog!

Robert Jaynes said...

Laney, I am planning a trip to Buffalo for work early next year (January-ish) and I would love to stop in and see you guys. Email me and let me know if you will be in town, etc. robert.jaynes@gmail.com

Annie O said...

when are you going to blog again? I miss seeing you and Taylor and Henry P.

Kent and Leisy said...

yes. blog again. today.

Wanamakers in Boston said...

I'm not sure what happens with giraffes, but I know large whales beached in Taiwan and other Asian locales are often loaded on the back of flat bed trucks and exploded in downtown streets...or at least so I saw on a video once! :)