1.13.2010

For the love of vegetables

We all know we should eat more vegetables, and we all know how good they are for us. Vegetables prevent cancer, keep us healthy, they keep us regular, they are magic for your body. Why is it that they are so easy to hate? Last January Taylor and I made a New Year's Resolution to learn to like a vegetable that we we didn't like. Taylor chose sweet potatoes and I chose raw tomatoes (I love them cooked and in sauces, soups, etc) We learned to prepare them in new ways, and we had a pretty darn successful year. Taylor now asks for sweet potatoes on a regular basis, and just the other day at Subway, I asked for a (yes, only one) tomato slice on my Turkey sandwich. We have a new year ahead of us, and we have chosen our vegetables for the year. Taylor has chosen mushrooms (they aren't really vegetables, but Taylor already loves most veggies) and I have been oscillating between brussels sprouts or another year of tomatoes. I have a long way to go with fresh tomatoes. This past week we gave brussels sprouts a try, and turns out, I already love them! I had never had them before. I assumed since they were called sprouts that when you cut them open they were full of those nasty sprouts that people sometimes put on sandwiches...but I was wrong! Who knew that they are actually cute little cabbages? Taylor tells me that everyone knew...just not me. Anyway, it looks like this year might be year number two for fresh tomatoes. Good luck to me!
If any of you would like a delicious recipe for brussels sprouts, try this out: Cut them in half, toss them in olive oil, salt, & pepper, and bake them at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until ready to eat.
Luckily Henry loves vegetables just as much as his father does. He doesn't need any New Year's Resolutions. We are very lucky parents that we got a kid that loves broccoli and asparagus. I attribute it to Taylor always feeding him veggies over fruit when he was just starting out. I've read that introducing them to veggies first doesn't really make much of a difference, but I let Taylor give it a try, and voila...we have a veggie lover. I don't think it can be entirely attributed to the exposure to veggies early on, but it may be a part of it. I was also reading a study about picky eaters the other day that stated the following, "Parents excessively concerned with food—whether positively or negatively—are more likely to have picky eaters. And those who harshly punish non-plate-cleaning children, or, at the other extreme, cater to the child by fixing them exactly what they request, exacerbate the situation." The article was very interesting, and I learned that moderation in all things is always the answer, even with vegetables! Go eat your vegetables!!!

12 comments:

Nate and Jessica said...

Laney! Did you know i did the exact same thing with tomatoes??? I tried to eat a grape tomato every day till I learned to like them. Lettuce took me YEARS but it did work.

Nate and Jessica said...

Oh and lately I have been putting kale in all our soups, hot pasta, or dips...cant even taste it.

AaReAn said...

what a good resolution! I LOVE sweet potatoes...and i LOVE tomatoes...I pretty much LOVE every vegetable..except Kale. Not a huge fan of Kale. Either way...I am going to try this Brussel sprout recipe...sounds delish and easy!

Lindsay said...

Very cool guys. And I'm liking your philosphies on child raising. I recently found a super yummy brussel sprout recipe that involves shredding them in a food processor (after steaming them) and tossing them with a mustard dressing and candied pecans. So good. I've always had a bit of a tomato issue as well but then I realized it was all about the quality of the tomato for me. Those pale grainy ones gross me out but if its red and juicy (preferably home grown) I will eat it like an apple with just a little salt. Good luck!

Mike, Kalie, Jason, and Lexie Borynski said...

What a good idea to learn to eat a new veggie for the new year! Thanks for the recipe... I always love your recipes... keep them coming :-) And beware about the eggies, Jason loved them too until a few months ago... he totally changed :-(

yaya said...

I love, love, love brussel sprouts! I was surprised how many other people do too. When the hospital cafeteria offers them, there's a stampede! Who knew??

Boss said...

I can't believe you like brussles sprouts. Sure, they look like little cabbages, but they taste like barf.

The tomatoes are worth the trouble, though.

Annie O said...

It's your mother's fault on not trying new veggies. I wasn't much of a veggie person or mother---so sorry! But I do LOVE tomatoes and sweet potatoes. I'm trying to convert your Dad and Daysa but they won't go there.

XXOO to you all and extra to Henry P.

Dave and Michelle Howell said...

I liked roasted veggies - zucchini, crook neck, onions, peppers. They're all sweeter when roasted.

Susan said...

maybe i'll try the sprouts since i already love tomatoes. i need to read that article. my daughter livvy is a very picky eater and i don't want her to have a complex with food.

the Kprows! said...

I had no clue that brussel sprouts were like baby cabbages. Maybe you and I were the only ones in the world who didn't know. I love veggies, and most especially fresh tomatoes! I used to ask for a plate of them when we would go to the olive garden (the roma tomatoes there are the best!) but Matt is super picky when it comes to veggies. He eats carrots though like a rabbit, and I eat about one a year. Could be why he has 20/20 vision and mine stinks. Looks like we might have to adopt your new years veggie resolutions too!

Rachael said...

Oh, I LOVE brussel sprouts!! And they are super yummy, cut in half and sauteed in the olive oil and tossed with s&p. They get all caramelized in the pan and are such a treat. No one else loved that side dish like I did, but I keep wanting more! Cool goal.