2.08.2010

Teaching Seminary


As many of you know, I teach seminary (a class about the scriptures) for the teenagers at church. They come to my house at 6AM and we sit around the dining room table and drink hot chocolate (sometimes muffins if they are lucky) and we discuss the gospel of Jesus Christ. A few classes ago one of my students said to me, "Laney, your calling sucks. I think it might even be worse than being the bishop." I giggled and asked her why she thought that and she explained how awful it must be to have to prepare a lesson everyday, wake up super early, wait to see if anyone shows up to teach it to, and then deal with cranky teenagers if they do come. I laughed a little more and I told her that yes, sometimes it really does feel that bad, and yes, sometimes they are really cranky, but mostly it feels good. The only time I really really hate it is right when my alarm goes off at 5:53 and I feel like dying. Yes, I do set it for 5:53. Just enough time to brush my teeth, throw on a dress/skirt (and yes, they insist that I wear a dress/skirt. Even though every so often I rebel and wear sweats), brush my teeth, and unlock the front door.
Anyway, I explained to my student that if it weren't for how much I love these kids and the Book of Mormon, I wouldn't do it. But I do love them, so I do it. And it's hard. But it's worth it. They never really say thank you (teenagers aren't really good at that sort of thing) but a few weeks ago one of them texted me and asked if she could take pictures of me and do a project for one of her classes- she said she had to choose someone she admired. That was all the thanks I needed. I really love my class, and the Book of Mormon.

11 comments:

Annie O said...

That was a sweet blog! Teenagers may be tough but I sure like them better than babies. You're a great teacher and a great example to these kids. You go girl--I'm proud of you.

P.S. So what happened at your appt last week?

Nate and Jessica said...

You rock Laney. Definitely a very very tough calling.

sam and brittney said...

I would have loved if you were my seminary teacher when I was in high school! That is crazy that you and your sister both teach seminary.

Rachel said...

You are the best Seminary teacher EVER, I'm sure. WAAAAAAYYY better than I was. I was terrible. Plus, I am sure that you are peppy and talkative, even at 6:00 in the morning. Let's be honest, when are you NOT talkative?

I think it's funny that your mom said that teenagers are better than babies. I would like to meet her!

Jason & Shannon said...

That's so sweet!

Rachael said...

It really is those little things that make a difference, huh? Nice that they come to your house and you don't have to get up early AND drive somewhere in the cold. I'm so grateful that it's Derek that teaches seminary and not me!! I know you're fabulous at it, though. Those are lucky kids!

abbyjane said...

i'm so jealous. i think i was a worse seminary teacher than rachel! i think i would look forward to coming to your class.

JT and Lizzie Davis said...

That is so great Laney. I bet you are such a great seminary teacher!

Mark & Rachelle said...

Hey Laney. Rachelle here. How long is your family going to be in buffalo? My husband just matched in oral surgery in Rochester. Is that close? We will move in June. It would be so awesome if we were close enough to get together.

Anonymous said...

Laney its liz. so right now im babysitting henry, he's asleep. Laney i totally love your seminary! Im sorry if i dont show it, i guess i just forget( that argument does not go over well with my mom when i dont clean the bathroom...) THANK YOU MPC!!!! I truly love ur class and im sorry if i get cranky. I believe that it really helps my day, it helps me be more christ like and starts my day of with a positive spiritual feeling and i love learning about the book of mormon, so one more time (although it wont be the last) THANKS!!!

Will and Heidi said...

Do you really brush your teeth twice in the morning? :) The dental hygienist in me got really excited to read that.

I think it's cool that you are teaching seminary! I am positive that you do really well.