3.10.2010

I feel much better. Not 100% yet, but almost. I am however going to invest in the Neti pot or something similar. Has anyone ever tried it out? I hear glorious things about it but I am a little nervous to pour strange things into one nostril only to let them pour out the other. I think it may be worth it. Anyway, on to good news...This beauty came in the mail this past week. It's hard to see what it is from so far away, but every time I got close to snap a picture, it had a giant glare. Anyway-it's my thesis! Bound and beautiful. (I put it on the top of the book shelf for all to see):

Did I mention how hard it was to write a thesis? And have I mentioned how happy I am that it is all over?

We went to Toronto today for a little adventure and this is what we saw when we first pulled up in China town. I loved it. Right after I snapped this pic, the guy opened up the doors and the truck was FULL of pigs. They were walking them into a restaurant.
This was the front of the restaurant. My favorite was the bright orange squid type thing. China town was wonderful. I loved it. It was just like Hong Kong! The shopping, nasty smells, funny foods, etc.
I found this sign above a public toilet: (Why would they need a sign for this?)
Here is the one good pic of the three of us. Some nice man took it, but it was on portrait so it zoomed up on our faces instead of showing the whole place. So I put a pic of the city without us in it so you could experience Toronto too.




And lastly, here is a picture for my mom. She wants more pictures of Henry. Here is one of the little guy in one of those toys you pay $.75 to ride. He still doesn't know that they actually move if you add money.








10 comments:

Page said...

Oh Laney, I will tell you why Asians need a sign to tell them not to step on the toilet seat. I know this because of my summer (from heck) in Cambodia, where I had to pee in a hole in the ground while holding my poor, poor baby. That's how they pee: standing up and aiming into a hole in the ground, so when they get to America and see a real toilet they think they need to stand on it and pee. For reals.

Robert Jaynes said...

Laney, about the toilet. Your friend Page is mostly correct...they would more likely 'squat' on top of the toilet. Often the toilets in China are a porcelain 'gutter' in the floor that you simply squat over. Of course those toilets are just as 'real' as the ones here, only different.

LOVE your Toronto Pics. I know EXACTLY where that restaurant is and have pics in front of it as well! Great town, totally love it. What special memories! Laura and I were able to go visit a couple years ago and I dragged her all around Chinatown.

Kent and Leisy said...

congrats on the thesis book. I want to go to toronto. How long did it really take to get there? Henry's legs look really long in that pic!

Stephanie Evans said...

Ask Erin Steenblik about the neti pot before you use it! It probably works great for most, but for her.... it all went in and none came out! She filled her head with water and gave herself two ear infections.

the Kprows! said...

Your mom was raving about the neti pot when we were there and I've been thinking of giving it a try. It is kind of a weird concept though to buy what looks like a tea kettle to then pour into your nostril! But hey if it means one less cold a year then I'm all for it! Henry looks so tall in that last picture! I wonder who he could have possibly got the long legs from? :)

Annie O said...

I use the squirt bottle instead of the neti pot and I do it in the shower so it all runs right back out again out the other side. I swear by it.

P.S. Have I told you how proud I am of you and that thesis? You're brilliant.

Steve and Hailey said...

Wowee he is so cute! You don't need baby Griffy, you've got Hank!

You know the sign over the toilet, has anyone told them that about the power of suggestion? You should mention it.

Hello three little pigs story. Did you tell Hank that one? Great extension to your field trip.

Congratulations on the thesis! That is HUGE! I'm jealous and proud of you. Man I miss you guys.

yaya said...

Congrats on your thesis! Sorry you've been so sick and I hope whatever you use helps. Hank is the cutest little guy and I'm amazed at how old he looks in that pic!

abbyjane said...

the sign is for the 'perchers'. jeff is a percher.

autumn said...

I just realized that you have a copy of "Endless City" on your bookshelf! *I* sold that to you!! Awwwww....