4.12.2010

so much to post...

This past weekend was the Law School Prom, which is officially called the Barister's Ball. It was mostly a bunch of drunk law school students dressed like they were going to prom. I felt incredibly out of place being nearly 7 months pregnant and wearing a knee length long sleeved wrap dress. I kind of felt like everyone was staring at me thinking, what is that pregnant lady doing here? Nonetheless, we had a great time. We ordered sprite and cranberry juice at the bar, and left about half-way through. The event started at 9pm! By 11, I was nearly asleep at our table and we still had a babysitter to take home. Kids sure put a cramp in your style whether they are in utero or at home with a babysitter, but I guess they are worth it. Henry sure is. I really hope the new one is too. I am feeling a little hesitant about having baby number two. I really don't like newborn babies, and Henry is becoming more and more likable every day, especially now that he talks.
Zoo weather is here to stay, and we went today. The little guy fell into an empty fountain and got a little road rash on his face. But he is still really cute.
The kid loves loves loves puddles and water. I can't help but let him play in them. The zoo was full of them last week after our rainstorms. He fell in this puddle soon after this picture was taken, and he loved every bit of it.
And lastly, FOOD! I made the most wonderful dinner tonight. Really. It's the best thing I have eaten in weeks. My friend Natalie gave me her mom's cookbook for my birthday- and that's where I got the salad dressing recipe. I think I could drink it. I pretty much made up the salad part- it's just an asian salad. Fried wontons, mandarin oranges, cashews, mozzarella cheese, cucumbers, and some chicken. You could add all sorts of veggies if you wanted. Here is the salad dressing recipe with some little changes that I made. I always make a few changes.
1 c. canola oil (I used 3/4 c vegetable oil)
3 T sesame oil (I only did 2)
1/2 c rice wine vinegar (I used plain old rice vinegar, I think they are the same thing, the Internet said they were interchangeable)
1/2 c sugar
1/4 c soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp ground pepper (I just did a bunch of shakes)
2 T toasted sesame seeds (I didn't use these b/c I didn't have them)
I also added a few tablespoons of the mandarin orange juice to the dressing because I love sweet things.

One more delicious dinner we had recently was turkey teriyaki sliders. My sister gave me the recipe, and I have to post a link to it, because it really was delicious. I will definitely be making it often this spring and summer. I was a little hesitant at first, but it is for sure a new favorite. We added a little piece of turkey bacon to the top and they were delightful and since we didn't have "Mr Yoshida's" sauce, I just added a tablespoon of brown sugar to regular teriyaki marinade. Here is my sister's recipe. It is absolutely worth a try.

4 comments:

Annie O said...

Is this a subtle hint that I need to send you some Yoshida sauce?

And you and Taylor look so happy and handsome together. Those other women were looking at you with envy.

Hugs and kisses to your water baby Henry and we're hoping baby #2 is as happy is Henry.

I'm off to London next week. Does Taylor want me to bring something back for him?

Kent and Leisy said...

I really want to make the salad. it looks amazing. another UNREAL salad is this one.

http://sisterscafe.blogspot.com/2009/05/chicken-poppy-seed-salad.html

it's one of the best I've ever tasted.

I'm still waiting for a pic of what the lamb cake was supposed to look like!!

Steve and Hailey said...

I know what you mean about children cramping your style...:) It's so worth it, but every now and then we think oh yeah this is kind of hard (like when they scream all night for a week...not cool boys!) I love the picture of you and Taylor. Steve and I have so few pictures that actually look nice enough to frame.

Mike, Kalie, Jason, and Lexie Borynski said...

yum that salad looks so good! I really want to tey it.. but I have never made anything with that many ingredients haha! Please come make it for me!!!