6.07.2010

a bad birthday cake

`
Yesterday was the big 2 for our little guy. We didn't do too much to celebrate, but he did get a cake and a few presents. I am including a picture of Henry's firetruck cake in this post because my sister asked me to. I think it was worse than the lamb cake Taylor made at Easter. I am pretty sure our family was not made to create three-dimensional cakes. Really, when it comes down to it, I don't think "creating" things is one of my talents. Whether it be crafts, cakes, or anything made from scratch- I am pretty darn awful at it. I was told by a friend that the cake was the most "unappetizing looking cake" she had ever seen. I kind of had to agree. But she ate her words later when she tasted it. That was its one redeeming quality- it was delicious. Anyway, I have posted a picture of the cake at the bottom of the post. I decided not to post it as the first picture for fear of deterring my blog readers from reading further. Anyway, other than the cake disaster, Henry had a great birthday. He got some beach toys, a soccer ball, and he ate some yummy cake. Here he is with Taylor getting ready to open his presents.

And here he is with his friends. He talks about them nonstop.
Taylor also found him this little train set at a yard sale on Saturday. It's not even one complete set, its pieces of a few different sets put together, but Henry has no idea. He loves it. And it occupies his time, therefore we LOVE it.

And lastly, the cake. In my defense, we had to walk it to the park from our house and it had been in the freezer so it had started to sweat (yes, a cake can sweat, it was perspiring), and then it started to melt. It looked a bit nicer before we got there. The candy pieces were still in place.

12 comments:

Kent and Leisy said...

it isn't THAT bad. it just kind of looks picked over. and your ladder is crooked. and there are black crumbs all over. maybe I could give you and taylor lessons.

Van Ry Clan of Layton Ave said...

That is too cute, I think you get an A for effort

Kristen said...

I say it's the thought that counts. And in your defense too, the pretzels, oreos and gum drop lights are all very creative! I would never have thought of using those! I've never made a 3D cake and not sure if I should even try. Baking is not one of my fortes (unless it's no bake cookies which don't really count since they don't touch the oven) I can't believe he is 2 already! Oh and I'm glad you got an air conditioning unit, I was sweating just reading about how hot is was in your place in that last post. That sounded miserable!

Rachel said...

Yes, the cake looked positively disgusting. But boy was it yummy. Then again, I'm not too discriminating when it comes to cake...

Jason & Shannon said...

Happy birthday Henry! I love the train set, how fun!

Jeff and Whitney said...

I was just thinking about him turning 2 because I remember you calling me on the way to the hospital. In fact, I just told someone your story about that the other day. I am quite impressed with your cake efforts. I don't do things like that either.

Annie O said...

Personally I think the cake is perfect. I'm sorry you were born to a craft-impaired mother. You have already far outdone anything I could or have done.

Happy b-day to Henry. Looks like a great day--wish I could have been there.

Mike and Carly said...

Michael and I can't stop laughing at your cake. It's hilarious! Happy birthday Henry!

Meredith said...

I can't believe your little guy is already 2. Where did the time go? He is adorable! I also once made a firetruck cake, the result was similar. The red frosting alone is enough to encourage me to never do it again :).

abbyjane said...

sounds like we birthday the same way. my kids seem content with the cakes in the pan, so i'm leaving it that way.

yaya said...

1)I think you look beautiful and not big at all..2)I'm with you on the craft thing..I call it "arts and crap"..3)happy birthday Henry and I think the cake looks just fine! I'm sure it tasted even better..

Steve and Hailey said...

Okay Leisy's comment made me laugh and laugh and laugh! I needed that today. Whew! I can't wait to live at least a tiny bit closer to you guys!