2.21.2011

Goodbye Snow....Here we come sandy beaches!

While we were out and about today Henry shouted out to me, Mom, a giant snowman! And sure enough, this is what I saw. It was huge. Henry has been hysterical lately. He says the darndest things. Just this week he put me in time out and and started his scolding like this: "Mom...here is the problem, we don't squish people! Sit in this chair for two minutes and I will go set the timer."

Little Milly goat has also been exceptionally cute lately. Everytime I put her in bed for a nap she screams and hollers. On occasion when the screaming gets especially loud, I'll go check on her. Every time I open the door this is what I find:
No tears. No more crying. She just wants to play. And that face is so darn cute. But don't worry, nine times out of ten, I just walk out and shut the door. The other one time, she wins, and I play with her for awhile.

Remember that episode from Seinfeld where Kramer lets the Japanese tourists sleep at his apartment and he has them sleep in his chest of drawers... I went to check on Henry this week and take him to the bathroom before I went to bed and when I went into his room, this is what I found. He was sound asleep.
And lastly, for some very exciting news, Taylor and I are headed here for spring break!!!! And we are leaving our kids with my sister (Thanks Leisy & Kent- we'll do it for you someday). I am so excited I can barely stand it.

If you couldn't tell, this is Miami, and those are Palm Trees along the beach. And we aren't going just for spring break, I am actually attending a conference there- but we are going to stay a few extra days and make a vacation out of it. Anyway, turns out my committee chair for my masters thesis, submitted my paper to the Institute for Public Relations Research for their annual conference, and it was accepted- and out of all the papers submitted, it won the Top Three Paper Award! Anyway, so I get to go down and present the paper and accept the award. I am a little nervous for that part. The conference is going to have all the top Public Relations Academians from around the country, but I am excited too. What's the worst that can happen? Taylor joked that I should look into some PhD programs while we are there- I laughed and then told him I'd rather die than write a dissertation. I really hated writing that thesis. It was so hard.

14 comments:

Page said...

Wow; good job!! I am interested; what is your thesis about?

And, Henry is pretty funny. I love my kids, but they are a little bit boring. They would never fall asleep in a drawer.

Jason & Shannon said...

That Henry is hilarious! Congratulations on your thesis! Especially now that you get to make a vacation out of it.

Lindsay said...

Congrats Laney!! That is so cool! And what an awesome excuse for a very nice vacation...it looks amazing there! Can't wait to see the pics. :)

Oh, and cute pics of the kids (as always). Love em!

Jeff and Whitney said...

Laney! That is fantastic! Congratulations. I'm so glad you guys get to take a trip together.

PS I love that Henry put you in time out.

ryan said...

Congrats!!!!!!!! When are you going? You know, I'm happy to watch those little cuties any time (if my darn job doesn't get in the way).

This is an excerpt from an email Ryan sent me tonight: "I had dinner at the Hawes' with the missionaries there too. I can't believe how cool Henry is. He told me 'cool jean' while he was chomping away in his high chair. So random."

We love your children!

Annie O said...

You're brilliant! I tell everyone that my children are brilliant and now they have to believe me.

I am SO proud of you. Please send me a white paper or link so I can pass it on to Stephen since he's working on a new Trust book.

You're brilliant. Did I already say that?

Will and Heidi said...

That is so awesome! A vacation and an cool award.

brentandkashann said...

Laney that is awesome! The vacation and the Award! You totally deserve it! Have a blast and good luck.

Mel said...

Congrats, Laney! I can't wait to see pictures of your trip to Miami on the blog!

Natalie said...

Congrats! When is Taylor's spring break? we miss you guys. Taylor talks about henry at least once a day!

Erin said...

Woot woot! Great job Laney! The kids are adorable. Have fun!!!

Krystal said...

Dear Laney,
Please don't post any more pictures of Henry, Milly, or palm trees- they make us remember how much we miss you (and wish for the palm trees). Tell Henry that Dayton says hi. Congrats on your paper! You're going to rock the conference.

Matthew said...

congrats you two and have a vunderbar vacation!

Tanner Mills said...

my mom has a few pictures of me sleeping in drawers!