6.12.2012

Here's the rest of my list of ten...

#5 Milly still has a Mullet. This poor little girl is never going to get rid of this thing. People keep telling me to cut her hair but I only think that will prolong the mullet. I've managed to figure out one hair-do that hides the Mullet pretty well. It's the only style we can manage.
Here's the mullet.
Here's hiding the mullet. This picture was taken at the end of the day where you can clearly see that her little wispy hairs won't stay in an elastic, but at least it hides the mullet. She's holding her new doll that she got at Henry's school. I asked Henry and Milly for suggestions on naming it (it's not anatomically correct and we cannot determine gender) and Henry wants to name him Henry. He says it would be really nice to have a black Henry and a white Henry. I agreed. Milly just calls him baby.




#4 Henry is hard. I mostly write this in hopes that I can get some parenting advice here. Henry is a wonderful little boy, sweet, funny, intelligent, etc. but he has been really difficult lately. He throws fits when he doesn't get what he wants, he won't eat dinner anymore, he has also gotten very defiant (I wonder where he gets that from). He does what we ask him not to do and he won't do what we want him to do. It's gotten much worse in the past few months and I don't know what to do. I feel like we do time-outs and other various punishments all day long. I am getting tired of it, and the punishments don't seem to be effective anymore. Any good books out there? Any advice from experienced parents? He just turned 4, so we recognize that he some of this behavior is normal, but not all of it. I'm including a picture of Henry in tears. He isn't throwing a fit here, he's actually crying because a bird pooped on him in the backyard. I couldn't help but take a picture. And these tears are very similar to the ones he cries when he is freaking out.
#3 Taylor graduated from Law School! It was a very eventful weekend with lots of visitors. His parents came from Nauvoo where they are currently serving their mission, my parents came from Utah, and my sister and her three kids came from Ohio. Congrats Taylor! I am proud of you. Now he just goes to school every day and studies for the bar exam. I don't know what we'll do when he's done. We've never been married when one of us wasn't in school. I hope nothing drastic changes and we still like each other all the same.

Here's little Milly Goat with her cousin Metta. I love her little pigtails. #2 Poop. How does something like this even happen? she was wearing a diaper and little shorts and she came to me to tell me she was yucky. I had to take a picture.
#1. Summer has arrived. It's warm outside, but thank heavens not too warm. We haven't needed our ac units yet because it cools off at night. It's the best weather in the world. I'm crossing my fingers hoping not to jinx myself. I'd be one happy girl if all summer was just like this.



7 comments:

Kent and Leisy said...

right now we use loss of privileges as leverage for good behavior. what does henry love?

Kent and Leisy said...

and I can't believe how much milly looks like you in some of those pictures.

Annie O said...

PLEASE remove the pic of messy Milly!

And my advice about Henry is to praise him, praise him, praise him and spend alone time with him.

Kent and Leisy said...

Agree with Nannie Annie - Lots and lots of positive encouragement. Love the poo pic - don't take it down! - kent

ryan said...

I'll have you know that the other day, I was in the bedroom and Ryan was in the living room, and all of the sudden he shouted, "Rachel!!!" in shocked surprise. "What??" I responded kind of concerned (because we know it's not common for Ryan to shout.) He came into the bedroom with his laptop, shaking his head and laughing. "Have you seen this picture of Milly?" he asked, pointing to a certain poop photo. "Yes." I said smiling. The funny thing is, I hadn't even reacted when I saw that picture the first time. I am used to you!!

xo

ryan said...

This is Rachel, by the way.

Eliza said...

Laney-
Your comment about Henry sounds like deja vu (is it deja vu if it still is happening?). After a few years of telling people that we parent using "Love and Logic", I finally read the book and realized I had no clue what I was talking about. It has seriously changed my life and the temperment of our home and little J. I love not being angry anymore and seeing the wheels in his little head turn as he figures things out for himself. Highly suggest reading Parenting by Love and Logic. Good luck. And, as a side not, parenting is a crap shoot (my opinion), so just do the best you can.